Nest question for all you big birders...

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi, i enjoy taking photos of wildlife, and mostly birds. i got into it a little more seriously recently after getting an old 500mm f4 p lens. anyways on to the question

i was out at a local state park on the lake today. walking a trail i saw a place that would be a small island when the lake was up a foot or so higher. i was able to walk on to the small island and found this nest near the top of this old dead tree.

the first 2 photos where taken on the small island under the tree in a somewhat wooded area
photo was taken with a 70-200 with a tc14e converter = 280mm FF (full frame) (uncropped)
nest_1.jpg

photo was taken with a 500mm f4 p with tc14e converter 700mm FF (uncropped)
nest_2.jpg

photo was taken with the 500mm f4 p with tc14e from a long a different post a good ways away.
nest_3.jpg

so here are the questions. as im new to this wildlife photography thing and birds in general.

1) could it be an eagle, hawk, we do have both around here. im guessing eagle because of the size of the sticks?

2) i stayed there a little while but no activity, probably not their baby season, as i think that starts later winter early spring?

3) is it just an old nest that will not be used again?

4) would the first place be too close to take photos from and scare them off

anyways, i would like to come back later to the spot if it would be a good place to get some photos, its a good mile hike. oh and the tree is probably about 30 feet tall, and the nest is about 20 feet up there.

I would say it is a Hawk's nest. THey wont go to the nest if you are close. It is hard to walk onto a eagle in the nest, Or hawk unless you just get lucky. Get there before daylight sometime and watch the nest and also if it is later in the day look under it for signs of droppings and peices of carcass and bones hide whatever. If it is near a body of water Eagles fed alot on mud hens here in oklahoma and further south. I think Hawk because of the location. Eagle would nest in a thicker place where visibility of him wouldnt be that easy. Could be abandoned also.

Check the local laws as well. There are often protections on certain species, especially with regard to places such as nests/dens/holts etc... There are several species in the UK that I know of which have these protections and where you will need a licence to take photos of them under certain conditions and I'm sure the USA might have similar restrictions.

Remember these are in place to help ensure minimal disturbance of the subject and to help avoid causing stress upon them.

ospreys and eagles both nest near water. They both use their nests year after year. If I had to guess I would say osprey but I'm not familiar with your area. Looks like a great spot to get a picture in the morning feeding the babies during nesting season.

If it's an Eagle's nest you really might not WANT to be that close to their nest when there are young in there! It might annoy the parents and you really don't want to be the subject of a pair of annoyed eagles ;)

i will probably call up the park, im sure they probably know about it, or know some more info. thanks guys, i hope to go back and get some photos sometime.

Ii do not know of any law's here regarding shooting any wild life. Well not with a camera any ways. I saw some Osprey a few days back. We see more eagles and here though. Osprey are amazing birds....I love to watch them all hunt except for Buzzard's....

That would be wild! I have heard tales but never saw anything out of line. Except rabbit and other small victim's getting destroyed.
If it's an Eagle's nest you really might not WANT to be that close to their nest when there are young in there! It might annoy the parents and you really don't want to be the subject of a pair of annoyed eagles ;)

yes i have never heard of restrictions of photographing wildlife here. im sure as long as your not harassing them or running up on them to get flight shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back