780-bw-newtopia-r-d-6420.jpg

jstuedle

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.picture-daddy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are we looking at palm trees after a storm? The contrast and sky make this a very interesting image.

OP
A

abraxas

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are we looking at palm trees after a storm? The contrast and sky make this a very interesting image.

Palm trees for sure, but been dead three or four years now.

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Really interesting angles there, but a little oversharpened for my tastes.

OP
A

abraxas

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks Max. Appreciate your comments.

RKW3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I see some noise in the clouds that can be removed, but other than that little nitpick I think this is a really interesting shot. :)

OP
A

abraxas

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I see some noise in the clouds that can be removed, but other than that little nitpick I think this is a really interesting shot. :)

I've been fooling around with the series this morning and came up with this:
412-bw-newtopia-r6416.jpg

It looks ok I suppose - but kinda,... meh.

The oversharpening and noise were purposeful. I'm trying to use the 'faults' to (gek, I guess I gotta say it), convey my vision- What I saw and felt. I thought it meshed with the 'stillborne' part of the title.

The color edits are coming out wild :).

THORHAMMER

Reaction score
interesting shots, I like the first one a lot. its crazy how they are all crooked but almost the same angle.. cool capture

Mrsforeman1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I saw palm trees like this in Florida. Where were they taken? Mother Nature...the ultimate artist.

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I guess it is the compression required to load them to the web that transforms some of the added sharpness and noise (which -and I think I understand this well - is meant to convey your vision!) into actual digital artefacts (upper left corner -> sky -> funny artefact!, plus the white little "noise-dots" in the darker part of the clouds), but all in all I like everything about Photo 1 better than about Photo 2. If it weren't for those compression artefacts, also the sky is more compelling in 1 - lots of drama going on there. That in addition to the drama that must have happened on the ground, to the palmtrees, at any point in time before is just --- good.

OP
A

abraxas

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
interesting shots, I like the first one a lot. its crazy how they are all crooked but almost the same angle.. cool capture

Thanks. I like the first one too. The second one sort of went south a bit with the sun behind a cloud.

I saw palm trees like this in Florida. Where were they taken? Mother Nature...the ultimate artist.

I imagine in Florida it was because of disasterous weather. These died of neglect. They were the facade of a modern day California Desert real estate scam.

I like both these shots....the sky does look better in #2.

I think so too- but the theme around here is 'stick with your vision.'

I guess it is the compression required to load them to the web that transforms some of the added sharpness and noise (which -and I think I understand this well - is meant to convey your vision!) into actual digital artefacts (upper left corner -> sky -> funny artefact!, plus the white little "noise-dots" in the darker part of the clouds), but all in all I like everything about Photo 1 better than about Photo 2. If it weren't for those compression artefacts, also the sky is more compelling in 1 - lots of drama going on there. That in addition to the drama that must have happened on the ground, to the palmtrees, at any point in time before is just --- good.

I haven't looked back at the original edit on this one. The corner thing is starting to bug me too. I tried something different on the sky that may have skrichted it up too much. As mentioned above, I'm trying not to second guess myself (too much :) )

So what I'm doing is taking my time with the color edits and working to get exactly what I want, but step by step.

Snowed here yesterday. Going to get my head out of these and go stick it under a hat somewhere cold.

Blackbelt93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
i like the picture what kind of lens did you use? also i like the way you shot this it looks in some what a painted picture

OP
A

abraxas

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
i like the picture what kind of lens did you use? also i like the way you shot this it looks in some what a painted picture

Thank you. I used a nikkor 18-70 lens w/cirular polarizer. Processed from a single raw exposure. Don't know or too lazy to look for the other stuff. Probably f22 aperture. 100 iso.

Most reactions