Neutopia - Stillborne

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
780-bw-newtopia-r-d-6420.jpg

Are we looking at palm trees after a storm? The contrast and sky make this a very interesting image.

Are we looking at palm trees after a storm? The contrast and sky make this a very interesting image.

Palm trees for sure, but been dead three or four years now.

Really interesting angles there, but a little oversharpened for my tastes.

Thanks Max. Appreciate your comments.

I see some noise in the clouds that can be removed, but other than that little nitpick I think this is a really interesting shot. :)

I see some noise in the clouds that can be removed, but other than that little nitpick I think this is a really interesting shot. :)

I've been fooling around with the series this morning and came up with this:
412-bw-newtopia-r6416.jpg

It looks ok I suppose - but kinda,... meh.

The oversharpening and noise were purposeful. I'm trying to use the 'faults' to (gek, I guess I gotta say it), convey my vision- What I saw and felt. I thought it meshed with the 'stillborne' part of the title.

The color edits are coming out wild :).

interesting shots, I like the first one a lot. its crazy how they are all crooked but almost the same angle.. cool capture

I saw palm trees like this in Florida. Where were they taken? Mother Nature...the ultimate artist.

I guess it is the compression required to load them to the web that transforms some of the added sharpness and noise (which -and I think I understand this well - is meant to convey your vision!) into actual digital artefacts (upper left corner -> sky -> funny artefact!, plus the white little "noise-dots" in the darker part of the clouds), but all in all I like everything about Photo 1 better than about Photo 2. If it weren't for those compression artefacts, also the sky is more compelling in 1 - lots of drama going on there. That in addition to the drama that must have happened on the ground, to the palmtrees, at any point in time before is just --- good.

interesting shots, I like the first one a lot. its crazy how they are all crooked but almost the same angle.. cool capture

Thanks. I like the first one too. The second one sort of went south a bit with the sun behind a cloud.

I saw palm trees like this in Florida. Where were they taken? Mother Nature...the ultimate artist.

I imagine in Florida it was because of disasterous weather. These died of neglect. They were the facade of a modern day California Desert real estate scam.

I like both these shots....the sky does look better in #2.

I think so too- but the theme around here is 'stick with your vision.'

I guess it is the compression required to load them to the web that transforms some of the added sharpness and noise (which -and I think I understand this well - is meant to convey your vision!) into actual digital artefacts (upper left corner -> sky -> funny artefact!, plus the white little "noise-dots" in the darker part of the clouds), but all in all I like everything about Photo 1 better than about Photo 2. If it weren't for those compression artefacts, also the sky is more compelling in 1 - lots of drama going on there. That in addition to the drama that must have happened on the ground, to the palmtrees, at any point in time before is just --- good.

I haven't looked back at the original edit on this one. The corner thing is starting to bug me too. I tried something different on the sky that may have skrichted it up too much. As mentioned above, I'm trying not to second guess myself (too much :) )

So what I'm doing is taking my time with the color edits and working to get exactly what I want, but step by step.

Snowed here yesterday. Going to get my head out of these and go stick it under a hat somewhere cold.

i like the picture what kind of lens did you use? also i like the way you shot this it looks in some what a painted picture

i like the picture what kind of lens did you use? also i like the way you shot this it looks in some what a painted picture

Thank you. I used a nikkor 18-70 lens w/cirular polarizer. Processed from a single raw exposure. Don't know or too lazy to look for the other stuff. Probably f22 aperture. 100 iso.

Most reactions

Back