New 18-35mm 1:3-4.5G not working on Nikon D610

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

Sort of stressing out here. Got a new used 18-35 mm 1:3-4.5 G Nikon lens from Robert's Camera in the mail today. I cannot get it to function on my Nikon D610 camera. I set the non CPU lens data to 35 mm focal length and the max aperture to 4.5. The AF focus switch is set to AF. The live view screen remains mostly black with barely an image showing. Have changed the ISO numerous times. Put the camera in automatic no flash mode. It does not function properly. My 24-120 mm lens works immediately. But this lens isn't not working. I am new to using a Nikon D610. Could I be doing something wrong?

Thank you,

Lonnie

You shouldn't have to enter a non-CPU lens into the camera. That's automatic with a G lens.

Can you manually open the aperture using the little tab on the back of the lens?

A G lens requires no non CPU data entry... the lens has a CPU . You should be able to just simply bayonet the lens on and have it work. What exactly is the problem?

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to enter a non-CPU lens into the camera. That's automatic with a G lens.

Can you manually open the aperture using the little tab on the back of the lens?

I cannot get the aperture to change. It seems to be stuck at 1.4.

I cannot get the aperture to change. It seems to be stuck at 1.4.

It doesn't close down when removed from the camera? :ambivalence:

It sticks at 1.4 until I put a different lens on the camera. Then I can adjust the aperture just fine.

It should close down to minimum aperture when off the camera. I suspect something mechanically wrong with it... you temporarily 'fixed' it swapping cameras.

It should close down to minimum aperture when off the camera. I suspect something mechanically wrong with it... you temporarily 'fixed' it swapping cameras.

Yes, the camera aperture is perfectly adjustable when I put the 24-120 lens on. But I noticed when I squeeze the 18-35 in the right place or put pressure on the lens, it will function momentarily and let me adjust the aperture as normal.

On the picture information there is an asteric mark by the 1.4 and then an asteric mark by 50 mm.

I'm talking about when the lens is OFF the camera.

It should close the aperture blades all the way down to minimum when OFF the camera.

Look in the manual for what the asterisks mean.

I think I have a mechanically damaged lens. It has a crack in that little window on the side. They said it did not effect the performance of the lens. The lens did not work until I squeezed it. Then it would work for a while. Then it would stop working. Then I would squeeze it again and it would start working. I guess this lens is going back to Robert's Camera for a refund. It was close to $400.00. I appreciate your help guys.

Lonnie

and now a moment of silence for those who have bought bad equipment through the mail.... I am really not too upset about this situation. The lens is all packed up and ready to go. Will take it to the post office in the morning. I already have a 24-120 lens, a 50 mm f2.8, and the 135 mm f2.8 that the angry photographer told me to buy:adoration:. When the lens was actually working I was not overly impressed by the focal width and depth. I can probably live without it. Could probably go with an 18 mm fixed prime lens and be just as happy with it.

If you already have the 18-55 and 18-105 as listed in your signature, what was the attraction to an 18-35?

The 18-55 and the 18-105 are DX lenses that I used on a Nikon D3200. Didn't think I could use them effectively on the D610. Could I?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back