New 18-35mm 1:3-4.5G not working on Nikon D610

I think I have a mechanically damaged lens.
Yes, sounds like it.

Could probably go with an 18 mm fixed prime lens and be just as happy with it.
The AF-S 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 is effectively a 20mm at the lower end, due to its field curvature.

So I'd recomment the AF-S 20mm f1.8.

There is no really good 18mm prime for Nikon F, at least not that I'm aware of.

The 18-55 and the 18-105 are DX lenses that I used on a Nikon D3200. Didn't think I could use them effectively on the D610. Could I?
Nope.

I love my 18-35 on my D610. Super lens for the money. Great for car shows, walk around, events. Super sharp. Sounds like you got a broken one.

Some DX lenses cover full frame at their longer end, or nearly full frame. The best way to find out is to mount the lens on your Nikon D610 and do a few test photos. If the lens does not cover, you can almost always see it before you shoot a picture.

I think I have a mechanically damaged lens. It has a crack in that little window on the side. They said it did not effect the performance of the lens. The lens did not work until I squeezed it. Then it would work for a while. Then it would stop working. Then I would squeeze it again and it would start working.
A crack in the material should give you pause. It generally means that the lens has experienced a severe shock. Severe enough to crack plastic. Even if the little window was not cracked, some other components may have been damaged as well. Good that you're sending it back.

I love my 18-35 on my D610. Super lens for the money. Great for car shows, walk around, events. Super sharp. Sounds like you got a broken one.

It is good to hear you like the lens. I sent the broken lens back and got a newer one that works. It is an excellent lens with super sharp photos. Looking forward to using it.

Would like to thank everyone for their responses and help with this lens issue. The lens was sent back to the dealership. I bought another one within a couple of days. It is a super sharp lens with no problems. It started working on the camera immediately.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back