new and old photo comparison to show Toronto's rapid development

merrychristmas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here I am comparing photos I just took of Toronto compared with google earth's 3 year old street view images. I walked the whole lenght of Yonge street in Toronto. You can see just how much Toronto has changed in only 3 years. The suprising thing is that this is typical of all of Toronto. Here you can see Photos I took along the full lenght of Yonge street, compared with street view images from 2009

$1a.JPG$1b.jpg ...
$2a.JPG$2b.jpg ...
$3a.JPG$3b.jpg ...
$4a.JPG$4b.jpg ...
$5a.JPG$5b.jpg

Last edited:
Just three years?

Try a century!

DavenportOldCutPost.jpg

DavenportNewCutPost.jpg

Here are 4 more photos I took of Yonge street also with 3-year old google earth comparisons:

$6a.JPG$6b.jpg
$7a.JPG$7b.jpg
$8a.JPG$8b.jpg
$9a.JPG$9b.jpg

It's a neat idea, but I think the results would be better/more interesting if you tried harder to match the position and perspective of the Google photos. Even the buildings that are the same, look different in your photos because the positions and perspectives don't match.

Lol ok. there is definatly a lot more change there!

Some hardly change at all.

OldCut.jpg

AdelNewCut0.jpg

FWIW, the store on the far-right corner of the 'modern' shot is where Francesca (Meryl Streep) shopped in the movie Bridges of Madison County. It was a women's clothing store (Bernadine's) when the movie was made, but it's a lawyers office now.

Last edited:
It's a neat idea, but I think the results would be better/more interesting if you tried harder to match the position and perspective of the Google photos. Even the buildings that are the same, look different in your photos because the positions and perspectives don't match.

I tried my best to make the google street view images match as close as possible, but since I looked for the street view images after taking my photos, I learned that in many cases the street view images were sometimes taken from the other side of the street so I tried to give a closest comparison since this is just for fun. If it were a final exam maybe I would have been given an F minus!

Most reactions

Back