New APSC Flagship Coming

I have the K3ii and the K1Mii, so this isn't as exciting to me. From what I've read they're incorporating some of the K1 features. Big news for me would be additions to the FF lens lineup.

Well, the KP has many K1 features already, I have two of them and love it. I will eventually pick up a K1 when I find a good deal on a used one, but I shy away from going FF completely due to the greater lens expense and size/weight issues- pretty happy staying with crop sensor for now. I can only hope that this new one will have VASTLY improved video and a large buffer- two things the KP doesn't have. However, I can't see how that can be an articulated screen from the prototype photo, and that would be a shame.

If you go with a used K1, I'd skip the K1 with the update, and look for an Mii. I've heard some rumours of problems with the updated models. The glass remains an issue though some of DA versions work fine, even in FF. Then there's always old glass if you don't mind manual. Pentax is hopefully moving toward expanding FF glass offerings in the Star series. The 50mm 1.4, and now the FA 70-200 2.8. I haven't found weight to be an issue the K1Mii is so well balanced that any disadvantage is offset by how it feels in the hand. Switching for me was great because the larger body fits my hand better, there's more spacing for controls and the layout is better. It's far easier to adjust on the fly without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

Reactions: pez
Boy, talk about bad marketing: no name announced For an upcoming product ,
... really a crappy idea, releasing a product with no name, which gives nearly zero benefit from press releases and pre-release hype, since people are unsure of what the goddamn product in question is going to be called and what the name is for the product they should look for on the web.... this one is a total marketing misfire.

Boy, talk about bad marketing dot-dot-dot no name announced For an upcoming product dot-dot-dot really a crappy idea

Pentax has never been known for their marketing savvy.:concern:

True, lol. However, this body is still very much in development. They may be looking for feedback from the community to evaluate their direction, who knows? Speculation runs rampant, and it certainly is getting attention already, for something that won't be produced until probably mid-2020. On Pentax Forum, there's already 80 pages of discussion, rants, and freak out. If it does have a hybrid viewfinder and the screen is swapped for an articulated one, that would be a awesome camera. But then, of course I'll buy one anyway... :icon_smile:

If it does have a hybrid viewfinder and the screen is swapped for an articulated one, that would be a awesome camera

Truthfully I don't use the articulated screen that often, but on those occasion when I do, it comes in very handy.

Replacing the K3ii will be no easy task, because it is an amazing camera, with so many good features. I thought seriously about selling it when I went FF but I still find places to use it.

Reactions: pez
I'm hooked on adjusting the screen angle in LV almost every time I use a tripod and cable release.

It is described as, "our flagship", and yet they have no name for this forthcoming model. That in itself is a glaring and yet accidental admission of incompetency.

It is a prototype that's on display, and not naming it yet is obviously intentional. Some companies, notably phone and software companies, actually end up changing the names of upcoming devices at will, so "no name" seems as good as K-xxx. I'm just happy to see what it looks like so far myself.

Yikes! Rumors flying on the Pentax site that the release price will be $1500-1600.

Most reactions

Back