New Camera after D300

Shanni03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I’ve had my D300 for about 12 years. It has been great, but I feel like my pictures aren’t as crisp as they used to be. I would also like something that is better in lower light situations. I feel like my D300 has a hard
time in low light and is very grainy when I have to bump up my iso. I’ve been looking at the new Nikons but am overwhelmed by the differences. I don’t have a budget (per se), but the less money the better ($1-3,000 range). I’m looking to take portraits of my kids, get amazing sports pictures of them and capture images of my husband’s motorcycle racing. I’m not really looking to make money off of this (although sometimes my friends offer a small amount for family photos). I have a Nikkor (18-200, I think) lens. Any suggestions on which camera? Would I be able to use this lens with a new body or have they changed all of the bodies for new lenses? Thanks!

If you don't mind the size, a good, used D4 would probably do all you want and fit your budget. It will do an excellent job with shooting sports since it has a high frame-rate. It will also have better low-light performance. Weather permitting, I'll be taking mine to the drag strip this weekend. The lens you mentioned will work fine.

But no matter what you decide on, I always advocate buying used. I've always had good luck with eBay, Craigslist, and at an estate sale.

Your D300 is a DX format so here's Nikon's new mirrorless DX format camera.

Z50 body only
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1531901-REG/nikon_z_50_mirrorless_digital.html

Z50 w/ 2 lens kit
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1527427-REG/nikon_z_50_mirrorless_digital.html

To use your 18-200 lens you'll need this FTZ adaptor
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431716-REG/nikon_4185_ftz_mount_adapter.html
It looks like if you add the FTZ adaptor at time of camera purchase it's only $99. Look at add-ons on bottom of camera page.

Might be more frugal to get the Z50 w/ 2 lens kit.

By the way, B&H is a highly-rated Nikon dealer and who I use.

Last edited:
Did you ever decide on a camera? I've just joined the forum and saw your post. I was in the same situation as you three or four years ago, and based on where I ended up, here are my thoughts, in case you are still looking.

If you can consider expanding your budget a little, you might at least look at a D500. Despite the way it has been marketed, it is a great all-around camera, very close to on a par with the D850. Except for the relocation of a couple of the buttons on the top of the camera (the metering mode and ISO buttons have been swapped), you will find the control layout and menus very familiar to you. Some folks complain about the low light capability, but it is way ahead of the D300. My experience is that low light shortcomings usually turn out to be the result of user limitations. Video options are limited compared to some newer models, so if that is important to you, read carefully what it can and cannot do.

I have used my D500 in a gymnasium with the 18-200mm zoom and gotten very nice results. It can also make very good use of lenses that are considered to be "higher grade" or "more capable."

According to the forum stats, the OP hasn't been seen since April 27.

According to the forum stats, the OP hasn't been seen since April 27.
Yes...I have noticed that there are a lot of abandoned inquiries here. My intent was to see if I could prompt a response on this one.

Hi! I’ve had my D300 for about 12 years. It has been great, but I feel like my pictures aren’t as crisp as they used to be. I would also like something that is better in lower light situations. I feel like my D300 has a hard
time in low light and is very grainy when I have to bump up my iso. I’ve been looking at the new Nikons but am overwhelmed by the differences. I don’t have a budget (per se), but the less money the better ($1-3,000 range). I’m looking to take portraits of my kids, get amazing sports pictures of them and capture images of my husband’s motorcycle racing. I’m not really looking to make money off of this (although sometimes my friends offer a small amount for family photos). I have a Nikkor (18-200, I think) lens. Any suggestions on which camera? Would I be able to use this lens with a new body or have they changed all of the bodies for new lenses? Thanks!
Don't know if you've made a purchase yet but an idea is a D780. Reputed to have a great low light ability and I can personally vouch for it. That and many other good things it does well.
BTW, years ago I was a hill climb racer on a one lung Beezer. Your hubby probably knows what that is. Motorcycling is a great sport.

Don't know if you've made a purchase yet but an idea is a D780. Reputed to have a great low light ability and I can personally vouch for it. That and many other good things it does well.
BTW, years ago I was a hill climb racer on a one lung Beezer. Your hubby probably knows what that is. Motorcycling is a great sport.
Thanks so much everyone for the replies! I actually ended up getting a D780 and I love it! It’s amazing with low light. I also got a telephoto lens and have captured some great motorcycling pics! Thanks for the suggestions!

I strongly suggest getting a mirrorless. Just last evening I was out with the DSLR and Mirrorless. The view through the fullframe DSLR is beautiful but there is so much more that can be done on mirrorless.

1) Realtime exposure and white balance
2) Option to show or hide numerous camera settings
3) Image review through the viewfinder - handy in bright conditions and shows more detail
4) The ability to see and change most settings through the veiwfinder so you never have to look away.
5) Protection for your eyes when shooting directly towards the sun
6) Super fast frames per second with electronic shutter
7) Absolutely silent electronic shutter

Z5 is imo the best value-for-money performer !! ofc it will be some investment but the difference will be huge ... if you have some FX f-mount lenses, you can go with FTZ, it's loseless in the meaning of IQ or you can buy a set with 24-200mm f/4-6.3 lens for ~$2000 (but there are certainly a lot of better lenses that Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3)

Thanks so much everyone for the replies! I actually ended up getting a D780 and I love it! It’s amazing with low light. I also got a telephoto lens and have captured some great motorcycling pics! Thanks for the suggestions!

i agree. Love my D780 👍

Most reactions

New Topics

Back