Canon 500D

- current lenses:
Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (kit lens)
Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro

- plans for new lenses:
Probably something like Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART to replace my old (and slow) 50mm

I usually shoot portraits and macro, but I always enjoy shooting my pets (dog + cat) and wildlife as well. I've searched on the Internet and found out that for my price range there are 2 good candidates - Canon 80D (about 1000 €) and 6D (first version, around 1300 €). Both have their pros and cons and it's driving me nuts. The best would be probably 6D II, but I couldn't really justify such purchase right now (over 2100 € in shops, which is twice as much as 80D).

I know 6D has a larger sensor, larger viewfinder, better low-light performance and great image quality, but it's quite old now and lacks several features compared to 80D - for instance no articulating screen, old AF system and only one cross-type point, slower max. shutter speed (1/4000 vs 1/8000) etc.

Any of these "more expensive" cameras would be an improvement over my old 500D, but I'd like to get the best value for the money. People usually suggest 6D for portraiture and still images, while 80D is better for video and more "action" photos (sports, wildlife...). The problem is that I'd want to do both types.

Can you please suggest me what to do? Are those newer functions on 80D (AF, articulating screen, 100% viewfinder coverage, newer DIGIC processor...) worth sacrificing a full-frame sensor? Even though I know Nikon probably would satisfy my needs better, as I already have Canon equipment it would cost me too much at the moment to switch sides, so I'd rather stick with Canon for the moment.

Thanks for any advices in advance.

Few things to point out.

The 50mm you have or intend to get may not be as good for portraits on a fullframe as they are on a crop body. You'll also have less apparent reach with your zoom lenses and the 18-55 won't work at all.

The 500d was a fine camera in its day but the 80d has many upgrades both in body and in sensor.

If it were me I'd go 80d and upgrade the kit lens to something like a sigma 17-50mm f2.8 in time. I might be inclined to update all the lenses in time except the macro. Not everyone needs fullframe. It has advantages but look at the amount of people that are going back to Fuji and M4/3rds and still taking excellent photos

I know, that's pretty much why I'm waiting with my next lens purchase, as one is a crop and the other a fullframe camera. I believe I know the theory well enough and I think 6D II would be a good match for my needs (fullframe with features from newer 80D), but that's too expensive.

So you're saying that in your opinion fullframe isn't worth it? The reason why I'm considering 6D is that I often find myself in less-than-ideal light conditions and I'm getting furious about ISO performance and limited AF of my 500D. For instance 800 ISO gets noticeably grainy and 1600 is pretty much unusable. When I'm on a wedding, a birthday party or something like that, f/1.8 isn't enough, so my shutter speed is too low and of course things get blurry fast.
However, I'm a bit worried about it's dated features and worse AF...

I'm not saying fullframe isn't worth it, but with a budget of 1500 and your selection of lenses and the features you want, something has to give. In my opinion a newer crop camera with the newer sensor and features should be a good upgrade.

That 15mp sensor in the 500d was I think the same as the one fitted in the 50d which I had a while back. I believe it not to be the best canon have and I found pictures at low iso noisy also. There 18mp were an improvement (550d,7d etc) and I believe the newer one on the 80d is their best crop sensor to date

If you need any kind of autofocus abilities, the 6d isn't a good choice. The 80d will be a big improvement in ISO over your current camera.

Do you have a flash? That will help with indoor lighting situations more than a larger sensor. I use bounce flash at events like birthday parties all the time, it not only negates the blurry and grainy issues, but it also improves the quality of the light. It makes the photo look more polished and professional in every way.

After a LOT of consideration, reviews, advices and research I've chosen 6D.
Honestly, AF isn't that horrific as some reviews tend to tell us. Especially the middle AF point is extremely sensitive and manages to achieve focus even in a dark corridor.
ISO performance is great and perfectly usable even at 10000. Viewfinder is huge, wifi works as advertised, silent mode is great etc.
Overall, I'm very impressed with the camera.

I'm sure 80D would be good too, but I asked myself a simple question: "what bothers me the most about 500D?".
The answer was simple - most of all it was ISO performance, small viewfinder, too basic controls and lack of some features (e.g. wifi). I found myself always complaining about insufficient light. With 6D I can shoot even with Auto ISO and still be confident with the results.

Also, I never thought this will be a big thing for me, but I like more how my lenses behave on FF than they did on a crop sensor. Shooting suddenly feels more natural and I can finally take photos I visualized, but struggled to achieve in the past. No more struggling with the camera or anything... Now when I take a crappy picture, I can blame only myself :D

Anyway, thanks to you all for providing your opinions, I really appreciate it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back