New camera for indoor sports/action

QuentinC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First time to post here. I've started taking pictures of indoor sports and I will be getting a new camera and lens for my birthday in July. I take pictures of my friends hockey games and roller derby bouts(in a dim light skating rink) I've been taking pictures with a Canon ELPH 520 HS(not a camera used for sports but the shots that have come out good are pretty good for a point and shoot camera). I'm close to the action already and can move about so I don't need a mega-zoom camera and lens. I'm allowed to use flash(amazingly though, the roller derby pictures have come out brighter and better without the flash then with the flash, even in a low light rink). I only post the pictures on Facebook but I still would like quality shots. I've narrowed my choices down to a Canon T2i(or T3), Nikon D3100(or D5100) or a Panasonic FZ200. If I get a Canon I'm either getting the 50mm/f1.8 lens or the 85mm/f1.8 lens. Which camera and lens do you all suggest I get? Any advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

I know what my immediate response is, but in all honesty it depends on what you consider "decent" shots (it's all about perception) and how you intend to view your photos. Since you said Facebook, I'm going to assume that they will be resized smaller to fit on the page or to not exceed any limits. To that extent, you have some leeway on how good of a lens you need.

From a technical point, you probably should get a zoom and you'll need a fast one (large aperture). Unfortunately, these aren't cheap. You could get away with a fixed focal length provided you can work within the limitations. All of this, though, really does depend on what sort of shots you are looking to get. Do you want to zoom up in some faces, or are you looking for more wide-angle types where you can see several, or all of the players at once.

I guess it would be helpful to know your budget first.

Anyone here can point you in several directions and solutions.

Your going to want the largest sensor you can get. At least aSP-C... Preferably FX (35mm). Today these have the best light gathering ability. Right now Nikon is ahead of Canon, but they tend to leapfrog each other. You will also want a fast lens... Mid range tele, probably. All this puts you on the expensive side of things? You'll probably have to settle for an APS-C sensor end Canon DSLR... Get the fastest mid tele or zoom you can... 130mm... Round there. JD

Budget ?

I'd go for a d700/d3/d3s/or 5d mk iii.

Did Sigma release their 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM ART zoom yet?

For the price range you're looking at, look into the Sony a57. Better burst speed and more af points than the cameras you mentioned.

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. Don't have the internet at home so it might take some time for me to respond. My budget would be between $400-$500 for the camera and $350 for the lens(it's going to be a birthday present my mom is getting me) I'm really shooting to get a groups of players in the pictures. I'm able to move around for different view points so that will help.

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. Don't have the internet at home so it might take some time for me to respond. My budget would be between $400-$500 for the camera and $350 for the lens(it's going to be a birthday present my mom is getting me) I'm really shooting to get a groups of players in the pictures. I'm able to move around for different view points so that will help.

You will be very limited at that budget. You can get lucky and find a d7000 used at that price but the lens is another issue.

Indoor action sports equal $1000-2,000 just in glass but I have gotten some decent shots with my Nikon 55-200 VR. It takes some learning, like learning shutter speed and ISO, so practice shooting cars on the road or airplanes etc.

Anyhow, I started out with a Refurbished Nikon D3100 w/18-55mm VR and a refurbished 55-200mm VR...make sure the lenses state VR which stands for Vibration Resistant. You can get all this for about $500-600 on Adorama.com.

Hmmm, very limited budget for what you are trying to do. Some serious reading on camera bodies that have good performance with higher ISO settings is in order. You are going to have to crank the ISO up, no way around it. Some cameras do well in that realm (typically Nikon tops this).

The glass is really where you need to sink the $$$. You need a fast lens. F/2.8 or better, preferably. A 50mm lens probably isn't going to cut it for hockey as you'll have very wide shots without much detail of the players. A zoom would be preferable, but as mentioned, a fast zoom is not cheap. $2200 for top of the line Canon (70-200mm), down to the around $800-$1500 for fast third party brands. The lower priced fast zooms won't provide image stabilization, but it is possible to work with that with a monopod or tripod.

If you have the ability to move around a lot you could go with a fixed tele, but even those are pricey for fast ones (the Canon EF 135mm f/2 is fast, but it's $1000).

Slower zooms will make it difficult to get enough light with a fast enough shutter speed. You could go higher into the ISO settings, but it will be hard to find a body that will shoot very high ISO without a lot of graininess and loss of detail.

I would seriously consider used equipment, and possibly even renting a lens here and there. You could get a decent body and a fast prime (like the 50mm) if you could get close to some of the players, and then rent a nice zoom and get some shots from that on occasion while you save up for your own fast zoom.

Unfortunately, sports photography in low light situations is one of the most expensive areas of photography to get into.

Hi Quentin - Happy Birthday! With an $850 total budget for pictures you're posting to Facebook, the camera on your list that I recommend is the $500 FZ200. It will give you terrific action stills. This camera's 24x constant f2.8 zoom will gather a lot of light at the telephoto end, allowing you to capture sharp telephoto shots in low light. And it's a great 1080/60p video camera too.

Here is what it can do at the hockey rink: Wee Hockey - a set on Flickr

You don't really need an APS-C sensor or expensive DSLR glass to capture indoor sports.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wanted to give everyone an update. I received a Canon T3i and Canon 85mm 1.8 lens for my birthday from Amazon($680 after giftcards lowered the original price). I shot my friends roller derby bout and was very pleased with the pictures. Many people have liked my pictures. Glad I got the T3i and 85mm 1.8 lens

The 85mm f/1.8 lens is a solid choice for action photography: light, easy to handle, easy balance on all sizes of camera, SHARP, focuses fast, not too prone to flare, short enough to hand-hold without excessive blurring, long enough to shoot "loose" with from the stadium or seating area and then crop-in later at the computer...all in all, the 85/1.8 is an awesome prime lens to have!

Sounds like that should work out for you, since you'll be at floor level you don't necessarily need a really long lens but a sharp one will help in low light. I've done mostly hockey so the ice reflects the overhead lights, but I've found it depends on the venue - I did a little roller hockey and if the lighting's decent and the flooring is light in color it seems to help. I use short telephotos, I like 135mm myself, but I think you should be able to get plenty of use of what you got, hope you enjoy your birthday present.

Most reactions

Back