New Camera - Need Advice on Which to Choose - Canon Rebel XTi or Nikon D40x

SarasotaTim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks, brand new here...

About to get my first DSLR....after alot of research, I've narrowed the decision down to two...both of which I can get used for about the same price on Amazon...

Canon Rebel XTi 10.2 MP

Nikon D40x 10.2 MP

Both of these would be used, same price, and both with an 18-55 mm lens included.

I've compared specs, sample images, the works.

Guess it comes down to opinion from people who have actually used them...any ideas?

Thanks!

I just looked on Amazon. The lowest used D40X body was $399. For $450 (body only) you can get a brand new D3000 body from Cameta on eBay (very very reputable company)! If you win an auction you can get a D3000 body for about $300 from Cameta for a refurbished body (will look and operate like a new camera, and includes everything a new one would come with, plus a 1 year waranty from Cameta).

The D3000 is 2 generations newer version of the D40X! For $440 you can get a refurbished D3000 with a refurbished 18-55 VR lens. Again a refurbished camera and lens from Cameta will come with a 1 year warranty, and all accessories and manuals that new ones come with. The $440 price is a buy it now price. If you go the auction route, can probably get it cheaper. Cameta also sells on Amazon but I don't see any D3000's from them on Amazon for refurbished anyway.

But I highly suggest you get the D3000 over the D40X. If you choose to go with Nikon that is. Not that the D40X is bad, I own one. Just the D3000 is 2 generations newer and will be a better performing camera. And it would only be $40 more, unless you go with auction and win it lower which normally happens.

Just for your information. D40x was replaced by D60, which was replaced by the D3000.

Ahhhh ok thank you! that covers the Nikon end then.....I had gravitated towards the Canon actually, not sure why, the sample images seem almost similar as far as quality goes...

Well I won't steer you away from Canon if your leaning that way. But check out pics from a D3000 instead of a D40x. There should be an increase in quality over the D40x examples. Also even with the Canon gear, Amazon is probably not the best place to get used gear. KEH.com is very very reputable and is the largest used gear seller in US anyway. Their ratings are almost always lower than the actual condition of the items (looks better than you think they will). B&H Photo and Adorama also have very trustworthy used departments.

SOLID advice from ben. :thumbup:

Thanks guys! I'm gonna take your advice and avoid Amazon on this one....the Adorama site that Ben mentioned has refurbished Canon EOS XS's with accessories and starter lens for $399 with a 1 year warranty....can't beat that with a stick. Thanks a ton for the advice!!

For what it is worth, I have purchased used gear through Amazon.com many times, from both private sellers and from brick and mortar camera stores selling used gear online.

I have also bought gear from KEH.com and BHphotovideo.com's used store.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna take your advice and avoid Amazon on this one....the Adorama site that Ben mentioned has refurbished Canon EOS XS's with accessories and starter lens for $399 with a 1 year warranty....can't beat that with a stick. Thanks a ton for the advice!!

If the Canon refurbs are like Nikon refurbs you will be very happy with your purchase. All the spare (2nd) bodies I have purchased to date have been refurbished bodies. I have purchased 3 now (Nikons). Each one is used almost as much as the main body and they all performed without a problem. For me to tell the difference I would have to look at the s/n and then the s/n on the box to tell which one is which!

My first refurbished body is still going strong in other hands. Gave it to my sister inlaw when she asked me to find her a decent used digital camera. She says she could not be happier with it.

When it comes to cheaper bodies, I'd suggest cannon because of their CMOS sensors.

As for the d3000 vs. d40x.. the d3000 is basically a rebranded d40x.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back