New Camera Questions

ichrispro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey,
So I just bought my first SLR camera last night ( a Nikon D40 ) and I just had some general questions.

1) At the end of the day or when I'm not using it do I have to take off the lens and cap everything up to store it or can I just cap the lens and leave it on the camera? (I only have one lens so I'm not changing it anytime soon)

2) Are you really supposed to remove the battery when not in use?

So pretty much I just want to know if it's ok to cap it and put it away in my camera bag with the lens on and battery still in place.

It's perfectly OK to leave the lens on. Actually, it's probably better to keep the lens on and avoid taking it off (or changing it) as much as possible...to avoid getting dust in the camera. I'll bet that most people don't even know where their body cap is anymore.

Yes, you are 'supposed' to remove the battery when not in use...just like you are supposed to do that with every battery operated device. There is always the chance (however small) that the battery will leak or short circuit and cause damage to your camera.

Personally, I don't remove the battery from my cameras...but I do remove the AA batteries from my flash, when not in use.

The only time you might want to remove the battery is if you store it for months at a time.

If you do that, you should fully charge the battery before you store it, and remove it from the camera.

But... DON'T store your camera for months at a time, USE it :)

Question about my camera also !

So i have a XT for a while now and i noticed that when i take night shots and i use the flash on my camera it does some glitchy thing and it's only when it's on AF mode.It repeatedly flashes. it's hard to explain . Some people tell me it helps take red eye out . I'm scared that theres something wrong with my camera.

any advice?

So i have a XT for a while now and i noticed that when i take night shots and i use the flash on my camera it does some glitchy thing and it's only when it's on AF mode.It repeatedly flashes. it's hard to explain . Some people tell me it helps take red eye out . I'm scared that theres something wrong with my camera.

any advice?

Read your user manual.

any advice?

I believe that is to aid the autofocus. :thumbup:

As Socrates mentions, worth giving the manual a good read. :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back