New Camera

jmarazas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone :)

I am very new to this, I have decided to switch majors from Nursing to Digital Imaging. Big change in plans! I am wanting to get a camera for the class, but I'm at a total loss with which way to go. I think I am leaning towards Nikon's, but I have no realy reason other than the lenses seem more affordable. I am wanting to get something that is beginner friendly, but will grow with me. I would hate to spend money on a camera and regret it 4 months later.

I am wanting to do a lot of things outside, but the majority will likely be inside. I am interested in photographing births, but I think it will take time to build up clients with that so I will probably be doing some family and newborn stuff at first. So, no sports, but I need something that will be good inside as well as outside.

Any tips or advice is appreciated :)

Jamie

Most importantly, what's your budget?

I thought I was clear, sorry. I'm not setting a budget. I just want something that is good to start out with. I don't need something thats 3,000 right off the bat. I'm looking for something good and reasonably priced. I have been looking at the Nikon d7000 a little.

if you like the color red better, go with Canon. If you like yellow, go with Nikon. I seriously hope you didn't really switch majors though.

Get a Pentax K5. More dynamic range than a 5d MKII, fully weather sealed/ dust sealed (have to spend 1200-1400 on the body alone to get that from Canon), has the mystical magical Sony wonder sensor capable of clean high ISO images, and access to all the old k mount pentax primes, as well as their amazing Limited series lenses. Smaller, better ergonomics and controls, and best of all, green rings instead of yellow or red. ;)

As o hey tyler stated your budget is important. But since you don't want to put a number. I'd suggest the D7000 is a very good prosumer without being too expensive, and since you're wanting to shoot indoors get the 24-70 f2.8. Even better if you can get a used D700.

Photgraphing births huh? Wow, I've been around a block or three and seen some pretty strange fetishes but wow.

LOL I kid. I was in your position a few years ago....I went Nikon and have never had a moments regret. Don't rule out used camera gear. I typically avoid buying used anything, especially electronics, however camera gear is an exception. As long as you can test it in person (and know how) or at least get a good return policy, the chances of buying a bad camera are pretty low. People who buy gear that costs a house payment or so tend to take very good care of it. Avoid the eBay auctions that have a metric butt-load of cheap crap with them. They are almost always grey market. They say US warranty, but if you read the fine print it's not a Nikon US warranty, it's from Honest Achmeds Discount Insurance of Yemen.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back