New camera

bonstwrte

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My husband and I want to start a photography business. He has experience with high end cameras and I'm a newbie. I take great photos with cheap cameras. We want to photograph events and families.

That said, we want to purchase a camera we will be able to build on, has internet upload capabilities and has a good selection of detachable lenses. Of course we want good resolution (for blowing up pictures). Also we want to be able to use standard batteries. We have about a $1000.00 to spend but would like to spend less. We saw some Canon and Nikon models that were between $550 and $800. We'd rather spend a little more if the difference in quality and features are going to be substantially better.

Any recommendations and comments are welcome.

There was an excellent offer for a Nikon D7100 for less than 500$ around very recently, maybe its still current. The D7100 is a really good camera that can last you forever.

I would get an AF-S 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR with that, and a good flash (like Nikon SB700).

If you cant get the D7100, the D3300 or D5500 or one of its predecessors should serve you fine.

If you want Canon instead, they have a great wide angle glas (EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS), and they have a really cute camera (100D, but the US name is something different).

I got a bit of a different and quite rude response in my email inbox. When I first read your reply here and appreciated it. Now I'd like to respectfully bow out of this conversation.

I think the Nikon D5500 could be a great start with some money to spare for an extra lens.
You could also take a look at the Nikon D7200 or even a great mirrorless like the Sony A6000.
It also has an APS-C sensor like the Nikons mentioned and works very fast.
Rudi

Which camera to get ?

Nikon D5300 with a 50mm 1.8G lens

My husband and I want to start a photography business. He has experience with high end cameras and I'm a newbie. I take great photos with cheap cameras. We want to photograph events and families.

That said, we want to purchase a camera we will be able to build on, has internet upload capabilities and has a good selection of detachable lenses. Of course we want good resolution (for blowing up pictures). Also we want to be able to use standard batteries. We have about a $1000.00 to spend but would like to spend less. We saw some Canon and Nikon models that were between $550 and $800. We'd rather spend a little more if the difference in quality and features are going to be substantially better.

Any recommendations and comments are welcome.
Welcome!

I support rudimaes' suggestion.

What camera platform does your husband use? You should probably begin with the same make/lens mount as his.

I found a good deal on a Certified Refurbished Nikon D7100 camera on Amazon. Has anyone had any experience with Certified Refurbished on Amazon?
Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera wwith 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR Lens + 32GB Card + Battery + Case + Tripod Kit (Certified Refurbished)

I got a bit of a different and quite rude response in my email inbox. When I first read your reply here and appreciated it. Now I'd like to respectfully bow out of this conversation.
That's the first thing that I thought would happen.

Best advice is to use the same camera system that your husband is using. I assume he has a collection of professional lenses. It's easier if you are on the same camera system as you can share lenses rather than duplicating lenses and drastically increasing costs.

But with the price limit you have you'd be on the consumer level of cameras.
The d7100 is a very nice camera and a great one to start with.

As to starting a business others can chime in on that. But I think we're assuming your husband has been in the business before if he has "high end" equipment.

Also .. "standard batteries". Cameras don't use AA (except the P&S type) or C or D batteries. They use specific designed batteries for the camera design.

Thank you everyone, for your replies. I was only asking about which camera to purchase. I gave the recommended information this site had posted to get the best response. My motto is - never assume... the person in question was disrespectful, uninformed and assumed a lot. He or she has problems I'm not equipped to help with. I needed camera advice - in any case, and the other nicer people provided that. I appreciate the help.

I found a good deal on a Certified Refurbished Nikon D7100 camera on Amazon. Has anyone had any experience with Certified Refurbished on Amazon?
Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera wwith 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR Lens + 32GB Card + Battery + Case + Tripod Kit (Certified Refurbished)
That is a very good choice!

No, I don't have any experience with Certified Refurbished, but I was very happy with my purchase of a used "open box" speedlight.

I think if you follow the supplier's reputation, you will have an excellent chance of getting good merchandise.

Thank you Designer!! I am glad you said that!!

To gsgary and whomever else wants to "question" me about my life beyond my first post and assume (you look like asses to me!) so much about my husband - Why do you even care? It's really none of your business. I said he has experience. I didn't say he was an expert pro. Jeez.

cameta.com sells refurbished cameras. I bought my latest refurbished camera from them, no issues.
Other places I've heard good things from / bought other things from
adorama.com
bhphotovideo.com
keh.com

What are standard batteries?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back