New compact(ish) camera for travel

rj878

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
It's been some years since I've even looked at cameras and the options now are amazing.

I'm hoping for advice on a new camera for an upcoming trip, and beyond. It will replace my Panasonic FZ 47 (too big) and TZ11 (too old).

I am looking for:
- relatively portable ie jacket pocket/handbag
- great perfomane with scenery, people, buildings, action (motorsport)
- excellent indoor/low light performance
- great photos on auto but also manual options to experiment with
- i think i would like a decent zoom
- budget around $500 (approx 350US) but willing to compromise

I have looked in store at a few options from nikon s7000 and s9900 to sony alpa a5000. All seem good in their own ways.

I like the idea of interchangeable lenses, could just get a small basic one for the trip. I'd like to be able to take photos of the moon.

Sorry its long, looking forward to suggestions :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

The Sony A5000 could be a choice, but you won't get a long zoom for this price.
As you are used to Panasonic, take a look at the TZ70 (ZS50) or the LF1.
Rudi

Thank you, I will have a look at them :)

If you weren’t dissatisfied with that Panasonic when it wasn’t “too old,” I’d say just get a newer TZ-series camera. The TZ70 is the latest and greatest, but the TZ57 doesn’t look too bad either, and it seems slightly thinner so it might be easier to put in your pocket.

Use CameraSize to visually compare cameras based on their size, if you can’t go to a store and try them out in your hands (and pockets), to see what fits best.

The TZ57 is not bad, but has not the quality of the TZ70.
It has more noise in low light pics.
Rudi

Thanks again :) I have looked at those models and done a bit more reading up. I am a bit torn between

- something to suit my immediate need for my 3 week Japan trip
- something with the versatility for use beyond the trip (which is why i was looking at some interchangeable lens types)

If i was happy with my fz47 performance with low light, action and moon shots then this wouldn't be a problem as I would keep that as my "non-travel" camera.

If i could find this balance that would be great. Please tell me if I am being u realistic expecting so much from one unit!

When I say flexible, I would go up another $200 for the right camera (still works out cheaper than buying 2). It doesn't have to be Panasonic.

As I prefer an all in one solution and don't like switching lenses anymore (must be getting old :) ),
I sold my Nikon DSLR and bought the Panasonic FZ1000, a versatile and very fast bridge camera.
You could take a look at the Nikon D3200 or D3300, good starter DSLRs, but again no long reach.
f.i. to get the reach of the Panasonic TZ70 on a DSLR or a mirrorless system camera,
you'll need different lenses and pay much more than you're willing to do now.
Also, if you buy a completely different camera, it will take time to learn and get good pictures.
You won't get better results than you are used to, if you don't know the camera properly.
With the Panasonic TZ70, you won't have that problem, as you are used to this type of camera.
Good luck in finding a new camera.
Here you find many pictures taken with the TZ70:
Lumix TZ70/ZS50
Rudi

Last edited:
Thanks heaps Rudi, you have been so helpful. I am going to see if one of my local stores has the camera so I can look at it :)

I think (know) you are right - that is part of the issue with my fz-47.. I just didn't get to know it well enough and gave up on it. Saying that, I still do expect good photos on auto setting, when I don't have time to play with settings. And for that it just did not deliver (e.g an aquarium visit, I put the camera away and used my galaxy s4 phone with much nicer results).

Panasonics have a good auto mode, but pictures of fish in an aquarium,
is challenging for a camera.
Rudi

I have fallen under the curse of too much research.... I noticed a lot of the smaller cameras have smaller sensors (makes sense), yet there are some compact cameras with larger sensors (and price tags) but not much zoom (even those that aren't interchangeable lens).. Is this something that is mostly the case i.e. larger sensors in compact cameras don't support more zoom?

And, am I going to be greatly disadvantaged in the low-light abilities by the smaller sensor size? My fz47 and tz11 both have 1/2.3, as does the tz70..

Sorry if I'm stretching things a bit here - you are just so helpful!

Olympus and Panasonic do a micro 4/3rds system of interchangeable cameras. The older ones had 12mp sensors that were good, but newer ones have a 16mp sensor that is very good. Its twice the size of a 1 inch sensor.

There are many less expensive m4/3rd models on the market. You should if you look be able to pick up one with a kit lens. Then ther is an olympus 75-300 amd a panasonic 100-300 lens available that effectively gives a field of view equivilant to 600mm on a fullframe camera, you said budget 500, then added 200, not sure but you might squeeze this out of that budget if you shop wisely

It's always a compromise between sensorsize and zoomreach. To put a lens with to same reach on a larger sensor camera,it wil be bigger, heavier and more expensive. If you're happy with the low light pics with the cameras you have now, you will be happy the tz70 or fz300.
Rudi

I have fallen under the curse of too much research.... I noticed a lot of the smaller cameras have smaller sensors (makes sense), yet there are some compact cameras with larger sensors (and price tags) but not much zoom (even those that aren't interchangeable lens).. Is this something that is mostly the case i.e. larger sensors in compact cameras don't support more zoom?
Obviously, and as I see you’ve figured out, bigger sensors require more area inside the camera. But they also require bigger lenses—the lens needs to pass light for a larger area—so when designing a compact camera with a big sensor, manufacturers have to make some compromises and decide what’s more important for the camera’s target audience: zoom (or other qualities of a lens) or size (compactness).

And, am I going to be greatly disadvantaged in the low-light abilities by the smaller sensor size? My fz47 and tz11 both have 1/2.3, as does the tz70..
Have you been “greatly disappointed in the low-light abilities” of your FZ47 / TZ11? If you have, then look around for some images shot in low light with any camera you’re interested in, that has a sensor of similar size.
If you haven’t, then any current camera with a similarly sized sensor will give results that are at least as good, though probably a bit better, as technology has advanced. Because of smartphones, a lot of money is thrown into the development of good small sensors, so it’s possible they have seen the biggest growth and fastest advancements of all sensors—though I’m just speculating…

Most reactions

New Topics

Back