new camera for mostly indoor basketball

bithmuth602

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, I sold my 7D markii and is looking for a new camera.

Mostly I do indoor sports( sometimes with awful light)shooting, but will also take my camera out when I go on a trip.

Based on my needs, now I'm considering between three options;

1. sony a6400+ 70-200 gm
2.sony a7iiii+ and wait for the Tamron 70-180 f2.8 to come out
3. fujifilm xt-3+50-140

I can't get both the a7iii and the 70-200 gm at the same time because of budget problems,

but a7iii seems really good and so does the xt3;

wondering if anyone got any suggestions! Thanks

Whichever camera has the best high ISO performance, to deal with the DIM gyms.

IMHO, unless you are up in the bleachers or shooting the far court, the 70-200 on an APS-C camera is too long.
I shoot on the floor with an APS-C camera, and if I shot with a 70-200, it was the far court. And I had to pair it with a second camera with a shorter zoom, for the near court. Swapping cameras was ok for the slower Freshman and JV, but Varsity moves fast, and swapping cameras becomes a problem.

My standard setup for basketball has been a 35mm f/1.8 prime, simply so that I could shoot at f/2. And I ignore the far court, as too far away for the 35mm prime.
Yes, the prime is not as flexible as a zoom, but it lets me shoot in the DIM gym at a reasonable ISO 3200.
The f/2.8 zooms would have me up at ISO 6400, and the f/4 zoom has me up at ISO 12800.

The Sigma f/1.8 zooms are another alternative. But they have a short 1:2 zoom ratio; 50-100/1.8.

Nikon D810, used. Canon 5D-3, used.

Hello and welcome, good luck with your camera choice......

Nikon D750 would be my choice.

With a 50/1.8 for really BAD lighting, or a 24-70/2.8 where you have a bit more light.
Again, this is from the court floor or first few rows.

From what I read, crop sensor body with a 85mm f/1.8 or faster is also a good choice. If you search "basketball 85mm f/1.8" in flickr, you will find quit a bit of photos were taken with a cropped sensor body and 85mm f/1.8 lens including 7dmkII and EF 85mm f/1.8 lens.

From what I read, crop sensor body with a 85mm f/1.8 or faster is also a good choice. If you search "basketball 85mm f/1.8" in flickr, you will find quit a bit of photos were taken with a cropped sensor body and 85mm f/1.8 lens including 7dmkII and EF 85mm f/1.8 lens.

For indoor basketball at the nearby D3 college and high school I use the 70-200 f 2.8 at the college as the light is better and the 85 f 1.8 at the high school where lighting is poor. I always use the full frame for best low light performance.

As far as which body to buy, given what you want to shoot, go with the best low light performer.

Used Nikon d750 or d810 or d3s or used canon 5d3/1dx. The focus ability is as important as the sensor for those conditions. Tamron 70-200 g2 will set you back less than canon or nikons versions with very little difference in quality

Most reactions

Back