New D200 and Tamaron 90mm F2.8 W/Macro

mhdeaton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got my camera yesterday, the D200 with the Tamaron 90mm F2.8 Lens. WOW what a combo. I read in this forum somewhere that the lens was great for portraits.

Does anyone know how to use the Macor adapter kit? It comes with 3 lenses that screw onto the lens they say close up +1 +2 and +4 on respectively on each lens cover.

Any tips would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Mark

Ya, you screw them on your lens and take pictures :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Glad you like your new tools!

Ya but I tried that and cant get the camera to focus with them on.

Hi there. First up the Tamron is already a macro lens. It is indeed good for portraits and as normal telephoto, but its intended use is macro... so are you sure you can't get close enough with the lens alone?

As for not being able to focus with those additional lenses on the end... how far away are you trying to focus? They are intended for close-up use and close-up use only. Also if they are all stacked on that may interfere with the AF system, so you could try manual focus.

Since it came with a 'macro adapter kit' I am assuming the OP bought the whole lot as a package.

Having said that, I personally would happily choose a third-party macro lens - although my choice would be Tokina - over an own-brand, because not only are they not bad, they are in fact very, very good. Macro lenses are one area where IMO the 'third-party' companies easily match or in some cases exceed what the various 'original' manufacturers have to offer - at least in terms of optical quality. Obviously if you were happy with a 60mm focal length then the Nikkor would be a better choice, but sometimes a longer focal length is preferable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/66987-USA/Nikon_1987_60mm_f_2_8D_Macro_Autofocus.html[/URL]

Have you ever used on of those? I am seriously looking at on, and at the bigger VR macro as well.

The 60mm and older 55mm MF lenses are almost exactly the same glass construction and incredible sharp. The 105mm is just as sharp and a pleasure to shoot. As far as third party glass is concerned, I must disagree they are as good or better than Nikkor or even Canon. :) With very rare exceptions, third party are third for a reason. I own several 3rd rate, er, um, party lenses. I don't shoot them as I have become very disappointed in there performance when making big enlargements. I am sold on top line Nikkor glass. Several of the consumer and so called pro-sumer lenses are of marginal performance and might be equal or lesser that the 3rd party lenses. I do carry one 3rd rate lens, a Sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye MF. I may use it 3 times a year so replacing this $50.00 ebay find is low on my priority list. When I need a good sharp image with as much coverage, I go to a 14mm f/2.8 Nikkor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back