New From MI

Miller6386

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I am a "camera" newbie. I am a tech geek and work in the electrical industry as a "controls" guy. I decided to join as for the last few months I have had a big interest in photography. I have been looking for a forum to join when I came across this place and noticed Wicked was an Admin here. Recognize him from a few Android forums I frequent daily..

A little background. For the last few years a big part of my smartphone selection was based upon camera quality. I currently have a Note 4 (I know hang in there I am not just a guy with a smartphone wanting to take magazine quality photos) which I am VERY happy with the GOOD lighting photos.

Years ago I bought my first "digital" camera which was a Kodak something or other that I can't find right now. Nothing fancy but worked great for selling stuff on eBay.

4 years ago I bought a Nikon Coolpix S4000. Unfortunately when I bought this what sold me on it was it had a touch screen. Which I quickly learned was foolish as it did not take very good photos.... I still have it but it has a few issues..

I started getting more and more into the thought of taking outdoor photos so I started shopping around for a better point and shoot as that was all I wanted to spend until I knew I was going to enjoy it. I was looking at the Sony DSCWX220. I was about to pull the trigger on it when I ran across a Sony DSC H300. I found one on Amazon on sale for $179. Local Best Buy wanted $229. I was just about to buy it when I saw in the New/Used section on Amazon the DSC H300 for $69 NEW from Amazon. Description said packaging was original but may show a little damage. I thought for that price I HAD to order it.

Well 2 days later I received it and LOVE it. Battery life if a little low and I am learning the quirks but the zoom and photo quality in good lighting are the best I have had...

So that all brings me here. I want to learn the tips and tricks for taking better photos. Most everything I have seen or read says lighting, lighting, lighting.... I am here hoping to read and learn and if my enjoyment keeps up with this I will be looking at getting an upgrade in the near future... So on that note I plan on reading and seeing when and where I can offer any input.

Welcome fellow Michigander. Read your manual, practice, read your manual again. Take pics and post up to 3 at a time numbering them. Ask for C & C. When you ask, try and be specific about what you would like to improve on or why this or that happened and how to avoid it as an example.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Welcome to TPF

Welcome fellow Michigander. Read your manual, practice, read your manual again. Take pics and post up to 3 at a time numbering them. Ask for C & C. When you ask, try and be specific about what you would like to improve on or why this or that happened and how to avoid it as an example.

I appreciate all that you said except... LOL I didn't get a manual with the phone just a quick guide.. Not sure how much of a manual they offer but I am going to look online.... I took a few photos off the back deck off into the woods... I was going to post them here just for the sake of posting but compared to everything else I see they are like something a 2 year old drew on the fridge with a rock.... I have a long ways to go before I can post anything on here.

I appreciate all that you said except... LOL I didn't get a manual with the phone just a quick guide.. Not sure how much of a manual they offer but I am going to look online.... I took a few photos off the back deck off into the woods... I was going to post them here just for the sake of posting but compared to everything else I see they are like something a 2 year old drew on the fridge with a rock.... I have a long ways to go before I can post anything on here.
You obviously have not seen my stuff... Lol. Don't worry, you will get good direction. You need to have thick skin though if you want to take it to the next level. Sony writes a good manual. Download it and discover your camera.

So that all brings me here. I want to learn the tips and tricks for taking better photos. Most everything I have seen or read says lighting, lighting, lighting.....
Welcome!

Yes, coming from the name of our hobby; Photography; light - drawing. See the light, capture the light.

Welcome to TPF
Where's Michigan? Oh yeah, it's that state that looks like a mitten. Or is that a kitten?
Oh well, I'm held hostage in this state too in the SE part of it.

Many have enjoyed photography and grown from a P&S to much more flexible DSLR and the like. Hope you enjoy the forum, there's much to learn here.

Welcome aboard. My lovely wife is from Monroe; niece works at the hospital, there.

Welcome from another noob in SE Michigan--Monroe in fact. I work for a control system integrator on the software side of the business.

Welcome from another noob in SE Michigan--Monroe in fact. I work for a control system integrator on the software side of the business.

I essentially am getting to where I can write and implement code/ladder logic. I have done wiring and diagnostic for 5 years now and feel it is time to move up to the next level. I work for a machine repair company and we get a lot of calls to retrofit or integrate a new control or PLC into a machine. We source most of that out. I really enjoy the work and am looking forward to being able to handle it start to finish.

Welcome! I'm occasionally on droidforums.net as well, but not too often.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back