New gear suggestions (come spend my money for me and other stuff!)

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yep so a while back I did a chat on a good "regular" lens to replace the 18-55mm lens that I kinda don't and never really have liked in my setup. So I did some hunting around and some chatting and sooort of kind of settled on the idea that a 24-70mm f2.8 MII is a nice idea - even though there are some 18-85mm type lenses as well and also a 24-105mm f4 as well.

Then there are some other shiny things too that I'd like - soo whilst I'm being indecisive come help!

Budget - around £1500ish (might end up less I can't be 100% sure).

Interests - wildlife (generalist) - macro (bugs mostly) - equine (events, might branch into other areas - depends on opportunities).

My ideas/things I need:
24-70mm f2.8 L MII
24-105mm f4 IS L
Tripod heads (currently I've only got the geared head) - wembly - ball heads - etc..
this : High Speed Insect Capture System (I'd warm to this and exchange rate means its the same as the 24-70mm - but that's without import tax being paid)
Lighting - I'd rather like to get a pair of the new radio controlled flash guns and maybe sell my 580EX2

Other things - go ahead suggest useful ideas!

Hmmm. How close are you able to get to those ponies?

For the daytime wildlife, hows about a Tamster 150-600?

If I got one of the 150-600mm I'd go for the higher end Sigma - thing is I've got a 120-300mm f2.8 that I can use with a 2*TC. It works well and I've mostly convinced myself that if I want to upgrade that I want to do it with a serious upgrade (500mm f4 - 300mm f2.8 MII) rather than jumping from option to option that gives a less gain.

As for getting close currently the 70-200mm has done all I need to with the horses indoors for the most part. It's more thinking of the future and replacing that kit lens I don't like/don't use.

Why not go with the tamron 24-70? Cheaper and has VC.

If I got one of the 150-600mm I'd go for the higher end Sigma - thing is I've got a 120-300mm f2.8 that I can use with a 2*TC. It works well and I've mostly convinced myself that if I want to upgrade that I want to do it with a serious upgrade (500mm f4 - 300mm f2.8 MII) rather than jumping from option to option that gives a less gain.

As for getting close currently the 70-200mm has done all I need to with the horses indoors for the most part. It's more thinking of the future and replacing that kit lens I don't like/don't use.

I see. You know what, that doggone 300 2.8 MII drives me crazy. I want it soooo much that I have convinced myself that one day I will have it.

Thing is I don't do video so whilst vibration control is nice and I do like it (love it in my 70-200mm) its not a deal-breaker for me in this range. Also the canon is from what I've read "the best of the best" (which is not to say the Tamron is bad at all).

I see. You know what, that doggone 300 2.8 MII drives me crazy. I want it soooo much that I have convinced myself that one day I will have it.

Yeah its the somewhere near £5K price point that is the stinger there :(

Thing is I don't do video so whilst vibration control is nice and I do like it (love it in my 70-200mm) its not a deal-breaker for me in this range. Also the canon is from what I've read "the best of the best" (which is not to say the Tamron is bad at all).

Yeah its the somewhere near £5K price point that is the stinger there :(

$1000 better?

Well I know the 70-200mm mostly is (esp with teleconverters). It's those little bits really.

Ok so I've boiled things down to:

Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 Di VC USD SP
VS
Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM Lens

In addition to a Acratech GV2 Head (with release plates)

Whilst not as exotic as the macro setup, the costs for that whole macro setup kinda pushes me way too far, plus I really need another flash for it so that pushes the cost up more. So its shelved for a while. The tripod head is something I do need, the geared head I have is fantastic, but makes for being totally useless in any other action based field of photography; whilst this ball head sits nice between ball and gimbal so should prove to be a solid generalist.

The lens is the tricky bit - I AM a pixel peeper kinda guy who likes to own really good gear where I can afford to. So I'm not totally comfortable dropping the idea of the Canon 24-70mm MII version. But I've reasoned that its price is high, my use low and that if I really want to go very high quality then I really should look to a prime and put the money toward a wider max aperture.
So its down to the Tamron VS the Canon. The Tamron offers better light gathering and creative options whilst the Canon offers a slightly longer reach.

Spend it more wisely on prostitutes and beer

But I'm not a fan of the latter and I'm pretty sure all of the former who are local are likely drawing their pensions!

You don't like beer ? Just remembered you live down south

Never really developed much of a taste for alcohol - I can tolerate a cider every now and then and some of those fruity combos are ok but beer nearly always tastes horrid - though not as bad as wine!

You don't like beer ? Just remembered you live down south

Never really developed much of a taste for alcohol - I can tolerate a cider every now and then and some of those fruity combos are ok but beer nearly always tastes horrid - though not as bad as wine!
Have you tried any of the micro breweries there are some great ones down your way

Nopes never tried them - just not too into the whole booze thing really cause urgh taste :p

Also I need moral support here for the next few days - gah ordering and waiting for postmen is a nightmare

Most reactions

Back