new girl on the block

Southernbelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, Im a newb to the site but not to SLRs or DigiSLRs. I got a Nikon N60 back in 99, upgraded to a D70 in 03, now Im rockin a D80 for the last year. Im getting ready to shoot a wedding (my first) and I am curious about what filter to use for the posed shots. I dont want the florescent lighting to mess up the color balance.

Thanks for the input.

I am sure someone else will chime in with a good answer.... but welcome to the forums!

First, Hi and Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.

Second, just set the white balance on the D80 to florescent and you are all set. The big thing to watch out for at weddings is mixed lighting. That's say florescent lights mixed with daylight through big windows. You can't really set a WB for it and no filter will help. Set your camera for whatever light is most prevalent and just work with it. That's the great thing about digital, you can make changes on the fly as conditions change.

oh yay! wonderful answer!!!!! Thank you!

Or shoot in RAW to correct any form of WB issues ever! (you can change your WB AFTER the shot if you shoot RAW)

Welcome to the forums. We have a great group of people here, with a vast knowledge of all types of cameras.

Welcome aboard.

As mentioned, shoot in RAW so that you can adjust the WB after the wedding. But even that won't save you if the lighting is mixed. I would try to avoid fluorescent lights, especially for the formals. I like to use flash, which is a different color temp than incandescent or fluorescent lights...so there would be color problems.

There are a few tricks that you can do, to avoid the color problems. One would be to overpower the ambient light, getting most of the light from your flash (or flashes). Another would be to put a color gel (cellophane) onto your flash, so that it matches the ambient light.

I don't want to sound condescending...but this is stuff that a wedding photographer should know.

I didnt take it that way at all. :D Thanks for the input. This was always a hobby for me, this is going to be my first wedding and Im doing it for a friend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back