looking to buy my first SLR...going crazy!

when in doubt...DONT.

at the moment, spending all this money on a camera seems absolutely frivolous. I WANT it...I dont NEED it.

I think I will get over those feelings, at some point, but right now I can not justify it, especially not knowing IF I am going to like the camera....I figure I can wait until basketball season, make a purchase, test it out, then if I dont like it, I can return it..

I am also thinking that I can purchase a Panasonic FZ18 later this fall when all the new stuff comes out. the prices should be lower, thus I can have my mega-zoom for outside, and still have the $$ for a DSLR near Christmas time...

so...I am putting this all on the back burner for now. However, I will still continue to research and browse this forum to learn things...

thanks for all the input. I will be back eventually.

-b

when in doubt...DONT.

at the moment, spending all this money on a camera seems absolutely frivolous. I WANT it...I dont NEED it.

I think I will get over those feelings, at some point, but right now I can not justify it, especially not knowing IF I am going to like the camera....I figure I can wait until basketball season, make a purchase, test it out, then if I dont like it, I can return it..

I am also thinking that I can purchase a Panasonic FZ18 later this fall when all the new stuff comes out. the prices should be lower, thus I can have my mega-zoom for outside, and still have the $$ for a DSLR near Christmas time...

so...I am putting this all on the back burner for now. However, I will still continue to research and browse this forum to learn things...

thanks for all the input. I will be back eventually.

-b

I totally respect that, I wish I had that kind of restraint! Also buying the camera is only the tip of the iceberg. You'll soon want more lenses, flashes, accessories, etc, etc.

Anyway, you don't need a DSLR to learn photography.. you can still learn all the technical stuff (aperture, shutter speed, etc) and also all the artistic stuff (composition, etc) with your current camera, so when you do decide to get a DSLR you'll be way ahead of the game. Take a look at this lady's work -- she is using a DSLR now, but the first half of her work was done with a P&S, and she is pure creativity: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswirly

Most reactions

Back