New Glass or upgrade body

MrGrimm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and have been messing around with my DLSR 350D for a little over 2 years. I recently bought a used Tamron 28-300 zoom lens off of craigslist. I wanted a lens that would suit just about every need that I had at the time. Below are a couple of the pictures I have taken with the new lens.

Recently I have been thinking about upgrading to the 40D and using the kit lens that comes with it. What do you guys think, sell the 350D and upgrade to the 40D or, keep the 350D and buy some better glass? I take about 4-5000 pictures a year.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2007%2011%2024e.jpg

2007%2009%2008b.jpg

2007%2007%2018c.JPG

2007%2012%2005a.jpg

Just from playing with my brother's 40D I can tell you it's a great camera, and I'd upgrade in a minute if I had the money.

However, do you find ISO speed is limiting your pictures? Otherwise, I'd probably just keep the 350D, cause that's the biggest improvement in the 40D along with faster FPS.

If you are limited by lens selection...then you know where to go.

If you keep your current lenses and get your 40D then sure it could be worth it. But if you're selling all your stuff just to get the kit lens with a 40D...then perhaps you should either save up and wait till you can afford to buy just the body. Or buy lenses.

Is there a need that you want to fill in the upgraded body? If not, get better glass. If you do upgrade, I would not reccommend getting the kit lens because it pretty much overlaps the range you currently have. Usually 17-85 or 28-135. Unless you are upgrading IQ in the lens. Dunno much about the 28-300, but unless it's the Canon L version I doubt you can cram that much range into one lens without sacrificing IQ and aperature.

Is there a need that you want to fill in the upgraded body? If not, get better glass. If you do upgrade, I would not reccommend getting the kit lens because it pretty much overlaps the range you currently have. Usually 17-85 or 28-135. Unless you are upgrading IQ in the lens. Dunno much about the 28-300, but unless it's the Canon L version I doubt you can cram that much range into one lens without sacrificing IQ and aperature.

He said that it met his needs, so I was assuming (from his pics as well), he's shooting during daylight so he doesn't require a huge aperture.

Is something to keep in mind, but if he's happy with the lens, I'd say keep it.

Personally if I had the glass you currently have my decision would be pretty simple. I don't know alot about Canon lenses since I am a Nikon man but there is ALOT!!! of better glass out there than a Tamron 28-200.

I would go for some new glass. Im currently trying to make the same descision of whether to buy a D300 or a 70-200 2.8 VR.... and i think the glass is gona win to be honest. My S3 pro takes fine pics as long as you dont want high FPS. Which is annoying, but in a way good as it makes you time your shots so you DO get it in that one frame.

Go for some new glass.. maybe a fast telephoto.. or in your case.. some "L" series canon stuff.

Thanks for the advice guys. Well I will probably stick with the body I have and go for some nice glass. I figure years from now, I hope to have the same glass but not the same body.

I'm in the exact same situation as Fate, and I think I'm going with the glass instead of body.

Most reactions

Back