New guy saying Hello and looking for assistance!

Seahorse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm thinking about getting into photography as a new hobby. I have about $1400.00 to spend and I'm looking for a little guidance in what equipment to look at. I'm assuming I can get something decent for that price! Thank you!

**What about the Pentax K10D and the Nikon D80?

Seahorse

I'd get a relatively simple DLSR camera and a good flash for somewhere half that budget and shoot the crap out of it for 6 months. Pocket the rest of the money for later. Something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485841-REG/Nikon_9419_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

See if you like it. photography can be a very addictive and sometimes expencive hobby. But it can be a way to earn a little part time money if you want it to.

Good Luck!

Well everyone here is gonna tell you to buy what they like. I just purchased a sony A100 a month ago with a kit lens,2 gig card,& a case I think it was around $600 It is a great starter camera. for $1400 you can get a camera and a few lenses to get you started if you bought a sony.This is my opinion. I recommend going to a store and holding a few and playing around with them to see what you like. I was looking at a rebel xti and a D80 and ended up with a Sony. Go figure. If I listened to everyones opinion I probably would still be wondering what camera to buy. All the slr's are very close to each other and only a few minor options hold them apart. It all boils down to your opinion though. Go to a local camera store and see what feels right in your hands. Good Luck

The Canon Rebel XTI is a nice little setup, and it won't break the bank. At it's price, you can even grab a tameron lens or two, and maybe even a Sunpack shoe flash.
Have fun!

I bought a relatively expensive camera and got some real cheapo lenses. After about a week I dumped the lenses and went further into hock by purchasing some relatively expenses lenses.

So what I learned is match the camera and the lens, otherwise you're wasting your money.

I agree with elsapet; the Rebel XTi is a good camera to learn on, will handle some nice lenses, and between the camera and lenses you probably won't max out your credit card.

(That will happen soon after you start shooting and realize that you need all this other "stuff"!)

Have fun!

I bought a relatively expensive camera and got some real cheapo lenses. After about a week I dumped the lenses and went further into hock by purchasing some relatively expenses lenses.

So what I learned is match the camera and the lens, otherwise you're wasting your money.

This is a very common decision made by consumers everywhere (so don't feel bad). The focus is on the camera body that the lens is all but forgotten. Manufacturers know this and take advantage by packaging their cameras with a pretty low quality kit lens.

I agree with Elsa. Get the camera body only and shop around for a good third party lens (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina). The cameras that I like:

Canon XTi - Very good processor. Nice selection of EF lenses. I didn't like the build or the UI layout.

Pentax K100D - High bang for the buck. Whole bag of features. Good UI layout. Backwards compatibility with 30 years of K-mounts manuals. In body stabilization. I did find Pentax selection of lenses limited and availability is difficult to find.

Nothing wrong with getting used equipment to start out with. Start out relatively cheap and see if your interests are piqued or if it's a passing fancy.

Most reactions

Back