New here and complete beginner...where to start?

vivalavieboheme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new on this forum...I found it through a search on blown out skies and decided to check it out. I've loved taking photos ever since I was a kid, but my only teacher was my dad. I posted some of my photos to a Flickr group one day and a lot of people said they weren't very good. So I'd like to improve, just because it's a hobby and it's fun. Where do I go about starting? I looked through the beginner's forum and saw a lot of terms I don't know, and a lot of techniques I'm not familiar with. Seems like a helpful place, if I had some idea of what I was doing?

Post up a few of your pictures here (no more than 5, will get the best response,).
Post up the ones you think are best, just go off your opinion for now, then the more seasoned photogs here will give you some critique on them, and get you going.

Learn from what they tell you about your pictures, read lots of sites about all the different aspects of photography, and practice practice practice.

Well a good start is letting people here know what you are shooting w/......=)
Next have fun playing around w/ you compositions!! Small changes to the view of your shot can make a huge difference on how interesting it is.
10 Top Photography Composition Rules

Well a good start is letting people here know what you are shooting w/......=)
Next have fun playing around w/ you compositions!! Small changes to the view of your shot can make a huge difference on how interesting it is.
10 Top Photography Composition Rules

What a wonderful link. Thanks a lot for sharing this. Lots of very nice tips indeed. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

Unfortunately, just a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP1...ah the glorious college student budget...but hoping for an SLR soon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can you post a link to a photo you like? Don't 'borrow' it..just give a link.

The 2 most critical aspects of a photograph are the light, and the composition.

Start by studing the 2.

I can see a similarity in your pic and the posted one you like. Close object detailed + far feature giving context. That's a good compositional approach. I think that you incorporated the curve into your shot is a plus. But the one you linked is more a beautiful landscape scene. See how the prominent feature in your foreground claims the whole of the frame to the left whereas the cactus in the other shot is close but allows a view of the landscape both sides. You shot doesn't allow full explanation of what the red/green structure is. The horizons on the linked shot are more levelled-off. Yours aren't level. If it's difficult to achieve with a small compact, you can use software to correct the angle. Last of all, the shot in the desert is taken with beautiful weather and light. You're having to work here with bright but plain light. Early morning or late afternoon would give you more 'atmosphere' to work with - different color of light and more dramatic shadows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back