New here. water drops...

shaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, I thought I'd introduce myself with a couple pics that I just took. I have a Minolta Maxxum 7d.

Taken with the 5600 flash only in a dark bathroom. The settings were on automatic, but manually focused. First is a blue pan with a red background. Just regular tap water. i have a syringe that I dropped out of.

Drop2.jpg

Second is a green pan with a red background.
Drop.jpg

I'd like to get the flash to work remotely (to get rid of the intense white spot in the splashes), but i have to read up on what I need to do that first. I have some good gear, but I've never taken the initiative to learn how to get it off of fully automatic. (that's why i'm here though, seems like a good place to start)

Thanks for looking, constructive crit's welcome :wink:

Shaddy

Here's a bump, and another question. I know after the issue of pop photography that talked about drips, you're probably tired of seeing them, but... For those that have done this drop stuff, how do i get more of the drops to be the sphere floating above the ripple? Kinda like my green one. It seems that 3/4 of the pics that I took were columns of water extending from the ripple, not the sphere. I can get more "crowns" by trying to be faster on the button, but it seems that I can't figure out the "sphere thing" consistantly.

Any pointers? Black frying pan with a red background...

Drop3.jpg

Shaddy

the reason you are getting columns is because you are too fast on the trigger. A fraction of a second later and picture number 3 would have no column, just a seperated drop with ripples beneath it. As for making a crown effect (picture 1 is about as perfect as you can get) just shallow water gets this done. I have been wanting to try this for a little while now. You did a great job.

Can you PP the flash spots out?

Never tried it. But I love this effect, I need to try this. Nice pictures

these are incredible!!! Talk about a great first post. I am going to have to spend some time this weekend gettting this skill down.

~Ben

Most reactions

Back