New landscape shooter

Millerscorpion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Helow fellow photographers. I've been involved in photography for about a decade casually and ready to take it a little more serious. I mostly shoot landscape, and some other nature subjects. That makes it hard to shoot on a budget in the bay area. I use a hand-me-down Nikon d200, so I'm limited on technology I can use.

Any tips and advise, or criticism, is always welcome; especially from fellow landscape photographers.
DSC_0109a1.JPG

Shot at Donner Lake.

Hi Millerscorpion, I'm new here as well. I'm also originally from Nevada City. When I opened your thread I thought, "Hey, that looks like home!" I was about to ask you where it was then I saw it was home. Nice pic by the way. :headbang:

Hi Milerscorpion , My name is Decy John I'm a Professional Food Photo Geographer, and Also a Product photographer From india. I like your shoot action.

Hi Milerscorpion , My name is Decy John I'm a Professional Food Photo Geographer, and Also a Product photographer From india. I like your shoot action.
Thank you decyjohn. I really liked the coloring and the angle of the granite bordered by evergreen trees so I just had to get a good shot. But I couldn't get the sun out of the frame, so I started playing with the sun in the shot and ended up with what I think is my best shot yet.

Hi Millerscorpion
I do not know. For me it does not work. The subject is so interesting. I would like to have seen some more of the landscape, how it looks. In addition to that, the bright sun takes up, a great deal of attention to picture. Hope that made sense, and hope you could use it.

Hi Millerscorpion
I do not know. For me it does not work. The subject is so interesting. I would like to have seen some more of the landscape, how it looks. In addition to that, the bright sun takes up, a great deal of attention to picture. Hope that made sense, and hope you could use it :)

Hi Millerscorpion
I do not know. For me it does not work. The subject is so interesting. I would like to have seen some more of the landscape, how it looks. In addition to that, the bright sun takes up, a great deal of attention to picture. Hope that made sense, and hope you could use it :)
Kalyt, I completely agree with you. The sun does take a lot of attention in the shot, but at the time I was there, the sun was too low in the sky to avoid the it and still get a good composition. I would have like to get a wider shot except for two limitations at the time, I couldn't step back any further with the lake right behind me, and I needed a wider angle lens.

If I go back today to redo that shot, I feel I could improve on it with the better lens and a tripod I now have and techniques and skills I've learned since then.

Welcome to TPF.
I'm not much of a landscape shooter; everything I shoot looked like everyone else's.
So I have a lot of respect for those who can make it look interesting.

I used a D200 for years and loved the lovely colors it gave.
Do you come from the SF Bay Area?

Welcome to TPF.
I'm not much of a landscape shooter; everything I shoot looked like everyone else's.
So I have a lot of respect for those who can make it look interesting.

I used a D200 for years and loved the lovely colors it gave.
Do you come from the SF Bay Area?
Thank you Traveler.
With my landscape shots I'm not worried about looking like everything else out there, I just shoot what I like or think looks interesting. But I'm still learning, and need more experience.

I've really enjoyed my d200, just wish I could use it to it's full potential. Though it is coming to the end of it's useful life, pixels are going bad and it'll cost too much for me to replace the sensor and do a rebuild. So I'm casually starting to look for a new camera; and it would be nice to use modern technology like a remotely controlling the camera with a tablet or smart phone.

Yes, the SF Bay Area.

Most reactions

Back