New lens, but now unusual things happening?

twisdit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings all, new here obviously, as numerous google searches did not help me find an answer, so in hopes you all do :thumbup:

Here's the dilemma, I just got in the mail today the Sigma 17-70 OS lens for my Canon XTi. Right off the bat after installing the new lens, i noticed now that when i turn off my camera :

1.) Takes about a 3-4sec lag time before the green LED indicator turns off ( almost instant with the kit lens )

2.) The camera makes like a "thump" sound as its turning off. ( never heard it before with kit lens ). Im not sure if its coming from the body or the lens..

3.) The "sensor cleaning" icon sometime shows and sometimes doesn't, after turning off the camera.

Can someone shed some light into this? thanks!

1. What green indicator?
2. Normal. It's the OS element settling and locking in place, very similar to a click in the harddisk when you turn your computer off.
3. That's normal irrespective of the lens. Cameras don't do a clean every time you turn them off. Actually I'd be surprised if they don't change how often they do it depending on how often you switch lenses.

1. What green indicator?
2. Normal. It's the OS element settling and locking in place, very similar to a click in the harddisk when you turn your computer off.
3. That's normal irrespective of the lens. Cameras don't do a clean every time you turn them off. Actually I'd be surprised if they don't change how often they do it depending on how often you switch lenses.

Garbz, thank you for responding

1.) Sorry, i meant the green power LED indicator for when the power is on. After more observation, i now noticed that sometimes, the power led will stay lit (even ...when the switch it turn off) until i slightly unscrew the lens, then it turns off. is that still normal??:(

The Optical Stabilization system and other electronics in the lens are powered by the battery in the camera.

The OS works by spinning. It takes time to spin down. The electronics require power from the camera until the spinning stops, because only then can the lock be applied, electronically. The lens and camera communicate, so when you tturn the power switch to OFF, the camera knows it needs to keep power applied until the lens notifies it, the lens no longer requires power from the camera.

At any rate OS should only be ON when it is needed, which would be at shutter speeds of less than about 1/150 with that lens.

Unscrewing the lens while power is still applied to it's electronics could result in capacitive discharge and damage to the lens electronics.

If you continue to believe the lens has a problem, take advantage of the warranty to send it in and have it checked out.

You may find it informative to read/re-read the users manuals that came with the lens, and the camera body. Both likely note, any lens should not be removed while camera power is still on.

On Nikon cameras the 'green light' indicates the camera is accessing the memory card.

The Optical Stabilization system and other electronics in the lens are powered by the battery in the camera.

The OS works by spinning. It takes time to spin down. The electronics require power from the camera until the spinning stops, because only then can the lock be applied, electronically. The lens and camera communicate, so when you tturn the power switch to OFF, the camera knows it needs to keep power applied until the lens notifies it, the lens no longer requires power from the camera.

At any rate OS should only be ON when it is needed, which would be at shutter speeds of less than about 1/150 with that lens.

Unscrewing the lens while power is still applied to it's electronics could result in capacitive discharge and damage to the lens electronics.

If you continue to believe the lens has a problem, take advantage of the warranty to send it in and have it checked out.

You may find it informative to read/re-read the users manuals that came with the lens, and the camera body. Both likely note, any lens should not be removed while camera power is still on.

On Nikon cameras the 'green light' indicates the camera is accessing the memory card.

KmH, thank you so much for the clarification. I hope un-attaching the lens while the power light LED was still on did any damage as you stated above.

Most reactions

Back