New Lens Problem HELP!!!

Raw photographer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, most of you know i just bought myself a new lens, and it's great, love it. But today I had an accident, it was on a tripod and it is a windy day, you probably know where this is going, it blew over and hit right on the front element. There is now a dent beside the glass, it's not on the glass part at all thankfully so it won't affect the pics but now i am wondering if i should return it to Amazon, ( The place where i bought it) or just deal with the dent, not sure, here is a couple pics of the dent, please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

IMG_8432.JPG
IMG_8431.JPG

Why would you return it? It's not Amazons' fault....

Just looked at it further i am going to keep it. I don't think it will cause a problem and if it does it's my own fault that it dropped.

Looks like it just impacting the front lens cover ring.
Typically it is not a vital component, most often it floats around the first element group so its not used to secure it.
You could unscrew it (with a spanner wrench) and replace it, if your really want.

Hang some weight from the column so that the weight is just off the ground won’t go into cog tipping points and cz moments even a 5ltr of water would do also rem lol not that one
Lens over leg

Hang some weight from the column so that the weight is just off the ground won’t go into cog tipping points and cz moments even a 5ltr of water would do also rem lol not that one
Lens over leg

Hopefully your tripod came with a built-in hook at the bottom of the centre column.

Interestingly, my tiny Mefoto Daytrip has one ... not enough space under it to attach anything ... hmm, at least they offered it.
mefoto.jpg

Last edited:
If it still functions as designed.... either live with it or sell it at a loss and buy another.

If you live with it, it can be considered a 'football injury' or 'war wound'. And perhaps a constant reminder to yourself to be a bit more diligent in setting up your camera on a tripod.

Lens over leg

Hopefully your tripod came with a built-in hook at the bottom of the centre column.

Interestingly, my tiny Mefoto Backpacker has one ... not enough space under it to attach anything ... hmm, at least they offered it.
mefoto.jpg
Thanks I have a good hefty tripod and it does have the hook underneath, i just didn't hang anything from it, i definitely learned a lesson to hang something from the tripod on breezy days. Im glad it's not seriously damaged. Thanks.

Just don't drop it on a concrete floor in a hockey arena. Twice. 'User error' and no, I hadn't been to the beer booth. Worked for a few months then one day I felt something give and everything went out of focus. First telephoto lens I ever bought and got 25 years' use out of it so it was a sentimental loss but an excuse for a new lens.

We've probably all done something that makes you remember to not ever do that again. Like to turn off the enlarger light that is used to focus before you expose the paper, otherwise you slide the paper into the developer and it goes coal black (the instructor said save that, that's your 'black black'). You bet I learned to check that the light was off.

I've dragged around worse looking cameras & lenses than that.
As long as it still works... make up a better story about it! :band:

Most reactions

Back