New lens purchase... maybe

mgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys!

A few years ago I had a Canon 7d land in my lap. I love this camera, but I never would have been able to purchase this level of body. So, sadly my budget for lenses is also limited. This leads me to my question. I would like to purchase a super wide angle lens to help me capture some of the large, canyon vistas around the area I live. I don't have any experience with anything other than the lenses that were given to me with this camera. So I headed to the internet, and I'm now pulling out my hair. I am no pro, so I would like this splurge to run me under $500 - $700 if possible. I was looking at the Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 lens used for around $400. What are your thoughts? Would this be a good purchase? Is there another lens brand, or type that might work as well or better for me?

I currently own:

Canon EF-S 24mm F/2.8
Canon EF 50mm F/1.8
Canon EF-S 60 MM F/2.8
Canon EF-S 55-250MM F/4-5.6
Canon EF-S 18-135MM F3.5-5.6

Last edited:
Under $500. Probably can pick a used one up for under $400, check KEH. I'm not an expert but see what others say. I almost bought one but I landed a 17-50mm for free. You could also sell some of your lens to KEH if you don't use them and looking to help pay for it, pretty painless to do. They pay for shipping. I've sold a lot of old gear to them.

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM

Check out some of the photos
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you! I will look into both of those as well. I really appreciate your willingness to help me out with this!

I looked at the Canon 10-18mm for $239 today at a pawn shop (I believe the price was $239...maybe it was $257) I looked at a number of lenses today. PM me if you want details. it was IMMACULATELY clean.

You're in luck, because the Canon EF-S system has the best cheap UWA lens of any system: the Canon 10-18. It's just as good optically as the 10-22, if not better, and it has IS which is a nice plus, even for an UWA lens. The only real downside is the exterior, being more in-line with the 18-55 kit lens, but still, it's a very capable lens.

You're in luck, because the Canon EF-S system has the best cheap UWA lens of any system: the Canon 10-18. It's just as good optically as the 10-22, if not better, and it has IS which is a nice plus, even for an UWA lens. The only real downside is the exterior, being more in-line with the 18-55 kit lens, but still, it's a very capable lens.

I agree, if you going to stick with a crop body the 10-18 is the best deal, maybe even better buying used

I did end up purchasing the 10-18 for a killer deal! I had intended to contact the place that Derrel mentioned, but thought to go check out our local pawn shop. I found the lens covered in dust, pushed to the back of a display case. I picked it up for $200! As always happens, I haven't had the chance to get out to use it, but I am excited to do so! Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! <3

I did end up purchasing the 10-18 for a killer deal! I had intended to contact the place that Derrel mentioned, but thought to go check out our local pawn shop. I found the lens covered in dust, pushed to the back of a display case. I picked it up for $200! As always happens, I haven't had the chance to get out to use it, but I am excited to do so! Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! <3

pawnshops are not my first choice for camera gear but if it checks out that's good. Used 10-18 zoom lens on DSLR buy/sell forums are around $200

The 10-18 is a great lens. I use it when I go on hikes and when I go to car shows. I'm astounded at how much of the subject I can get when I'm standing so close. And the pictures come out pretty darn sharp for the price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back