New Lens v2

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well the canon 70-200mm f28 IS is already having its own way - so here is a thread for my new Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro!
vvv.jpg

shown here also with the sigma 2*TC (not used in test shots)

Test shot:
IMG_0044.jpg

f5, ISO 400, 1/500sec
quicks shot in the staition awaiting collection

100% crop - no sharpening
IMG_0044100.jpg

:):):)

And I tried it on a moving target as well:
IMG_0046.jpg

and no that's not the flash affecting the number plate ;)

A very sharp lens and easy to handle. Smooth and silent focusing - though its not as fast as some others (read canon 70-200mm ;)) but that does not mean it cannot capture movment at all - far from it!

Awesome....Definitely one of the lenses I lust for.

Very nice! I love my Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 so imagine this one will be lots of fun too! Really nice Bokeh on that first image!

if there was one sigma lens I would buy, it'd be this one. nice catch.

update - Tried this lens out today with some wildfowl (without TC). At 150mm its a little short for proper wildlife that will scatter on site, but for more tame subjects its brilliant - AF is not as fast as my 70-300mm sigma and (because it is a macro lens) if you lose target with the subject you can end up with the lens hunting for a good while as it shifts focusing planes, but if you can keep you focus on the subject its good! Results are sharp and f2.8 - well its great! Sharpness is also very good - both hand held and on tripod! :)

3263743271_8ef96e1be6.jpg

f5.6, ISO 400, 1/320sec
link to larger: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/238/3263743271_0d9ae8903c_o.jpg

and a 100% crop:
3263754465_2b858b3438.jpg

link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3339/3263754465_8510f98c0a_o.jpg
distance to subject was not very far (only about 0.5m)

Last edited:
Wow....that is really sharp wide open. Looks like a nice depth of field for isolation too. How far away were those ducks in the background (how from from your duck I mean). It did a good job of blurring them enough to not make them distracting to your photo.

about another 0.5m maybe a little more so not too far!
I would say that the blur with this lens is smoother and more powerful than my sigma - at the same focal lengths - though I have yet to try this lens for proper with the 2*Teleconverter (I expect it to make a decent 300mm - least for macro work I have seen it perform very well for others - though I do lose the AF(

about another 0.5m maybe a little more so not too far!
I would say that the blur with this lens is smoother and more powerful than my sigma - at the same focal lengths - though I have yet to try this lens for proper with the 2*Teleconverter (I expect it to make a decent 300mm - least for macro work I have seen it perform very well for others - though I do lose the AF(

That's really saying a lot because I know that my Sigma (and I'm sure yours is the same) has shockingly nice bokeh. So, for this new lens to have even nicer bokeh is really impressive. I'm not suprised though since I"ve always heard and seen great things from the Sigma 150mm f2.8.

I have also given it a quick try in macro, but it was too windy today for flowers - I tried a few bugs and the new flash rather overpowered me! I need to get the hang of using it so ignor the rather large blowout ;)

IMG_0111.jpg

and 100% crop detail - I did apply unsharpening to this to bring out the hairs more
IMG_0111.jpg

That is really nice. I wish I could get that close with my Sigma 70-300. Are you using your flash off camera? When I use mine off camera for macro, I usually have a flash compensation of negaitve 1.3-1.7 (-1.3 to -1.7).

my flash is on camera at the moment - and I there was exposure compensation with that shot - though the sun was also strong on the overexposed section of the leaf ( the bug was in the shade which made me use flash - for fill) After that burnout on kit I have little enough left - not enough for an off camera shoe - possibly enough to get a diffuser. After that its reading and learning better flash control

Does your Canon not have any kind of wireless built in for remote? I know that my D70s triggers mine wirelessly from the onboard flash. Not sure if Canon's have something similar or not.

Most reactions

Back