What's new

new member in want of some C&C

tomso

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 16, 2012
Messages
36
Reaction score
7
Location
Raleigh, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I'm new to TPF and still pretty new to photography. Here are some of my shots from the past couple months and they're fairly representative of what I usually shoot. I'm really looking for new ways to improve, specifically in composure and subject matter.

1.
$8097844679_25485f258a_b.webp

2.
$8097845893_cda2262af9_b.webp

3.
$8097848097_45f6e98b7e_b.webp

4.
$8097855659_86b433c337_b.webp

5.
$8097849794_d330f1b52b_b.webp

6. This one was just for fun to see how ridiculous I could get with editing. Regardless, I still kinda like it.
$8097861050_52726c4453_b.webp
 
Thanks, I've been reading tutorials, etc. ever since I've gotten the camera (read that one a couple days ago). I was hoping for more specific advice in regards to my photos from people who have been doing this a lot longer than I have. I realize my composition isn't great, I just have trouble putting my finger on it sometimes. But any and all help is appreciated.
 
Okay, well, here is what I'd say you ought to do THIS WEEKEND, since it is the EASIEST,fastest, and most-obvious: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition: Lines

Take ye olde new camera out, and make a bunch of photos that have strong lines in them. LOOK ,and find subjects with lines. Try seeing what you can do with lines! Use wide-angle lens lengths. Use medium lengths. Use the longest lens length you have. Shoot line,line,line,lines, all weekend. Sidewalks,window frames, railroad tracks, streets, buildings, playground equipment, anything that has lines. Use lines that lead INTO the frame. Use lines that cut the frame into segments. Use lines that lead the eye to, or away from, subject matter. See how lines work.

F'rinstance: See the rock-climbing shot??? If yuo have moved over to your left maybe 5,6,7,8 step[s, and aimed that wide-angle lens more at the cliff facer, and LESS at the forest behind, you'd have VERY STRONG LINES, leading to the two climbers...the effect would have been VERY good. Instead, you have half a cliff, half a forest, and two tiny figures...

Eliminating the majority of the forest, and leaving the two men and the lines in the cliff face?? Woulda' been a much simpler, stronger image.
 
Okay, well, here is what I'd say you ought to do THIS WEEKEND, since it is the EASIEST,fastest, and most-obvious: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition: Lines

Take ye olde new camera out, and make a bunch of photos that have strong lines in them. LOOK ,and find subjects with lines. Try seeing what you can do with lines! Use wide-angle lens lengths. Use medium lengths. Use the longest lens length you have. Shoot line,line,line,lines, all weekend. Sidewalks,window frames, railroad tracks, streets, buildings, playground equipment, anything that has lines. Use lines that lead INTO the frame. Use lines that cut the frame into segments. Use lines that lead the eye to, or away from, subject matter. See how lines work.

F'rinstance: See the rock-climbing shot??? If yuo have moved over to your left maybe 5,6,7,8 step[s, and aimed that wide-angle lens more at the cliff facer, and LESS at the forest behind, you'd have VERY STRONG LINES, leading to the two climbers...the effect would have been VERY good. Instead, you have half a cliff, half a forest, and two tiny figures...

Eliminating the majority of the forest, and leaving the two men and the lines in the cliff face?? Woulda' been a much simpler, stronger image.

This is really good advice. I like your thought process on this. You give him an example of a good concept in composition, you explain how he can practice this using simple things we see everyday, and then you explain how he can apply this to one of his own images. Are you a professor or engineer by chance?
 
btw, that doll shot has serious creepy potential going on.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom