New Member ~~Nashville, TN~~

user3977

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well hello all i am new to the forum and just got a canon XTi. I would like to ask a few questions, first is that i have a 35-80 lense and some pic's i feel like i need to "step back" some so i can get it all in. how can i do this with the camera instead of a fish eye look. here is a photo that i took yesterday and really wish that i could get the entire falls into the picture. I hope it shows. also when you look at it, any and all critique is very welcome.

TNMeet048.jpg

Or.. get further back. You can move quite a way back and use the zoom to get rid of the foreground if you want to as well. But, generally just rely on stepping forward or back if you have the option.

Welcome to the forum.

how do you mean a wider lens lower number right? sorry i sound so new to this but i am in a way. i have had a rebel film slr for a few years and really just used it as a point and shoot with stock lense and a quantary 70-300. I would really like to start learning more that i can do and that is the reason i picked up a digital so that i can shoot hundreds of pictures and not have to pay thousands to get them developed to see how my skills are improving.

By wider lens they mean wider angle lens, which means anything under 50mm. 50mm is standard, pretty close to what the human eye sees. Anything below it is considered wide angle, anything above is considered telephoto (anything above 300mm is considered super telephoto)

The Canon XTi isn't a full frame sensor, that means you have a crop factor on your lenses. So your 35mm doesn't have the same field of view as it would on your film camera. On the film camera, the 35mm would probably get that show exactly how you want it, otherwise with digital you'll need a wider angle, an 18mm would do ya.

I'm not sure what you were asking about for the "fish eye look" part, could you elaborate?

i was just saying i dont want the "fish eye" look the them. you know the bubble look on it. where can one get an 18mm lense with out breaking the bank? all the ones i have seen are almost as much as the lens body

i was just saying i dont want the "fish eye" look the them. you know the bubble look on it. where can one get an 18mm lense with out breaking the bank? all the ones i have seen are almost as much as the lens body

You should be able to find the kit lens for the XTi available on Ebay or through Adorama. It's an 18 to 55, not the greatest lens, but good for learning.

For the fish eye look you would need a fisheye lens, or you would need to be using a wide angle lens and be too close to the subject. That would give some distortion. Very noticable when using a wide angle and doing close-up portraits. So you don't really need to worry about that.

Most reactions

Back