New Nikon Lenses, including a 200-500!

I'm excited, hopefully it delivers

so I placed a pre-order for the 200-500 yesterday. I suspect some people will get advanced copies and put out some reviews prior to the official release date, so if need be I'll cancel my order, but I'm definitely excited. Wonder how much I'll be able to offload my Tamron for...

Interesting. No nano coating. Only 3 ED elements in it. Limited range compared to the 150-600s out there. Won't be very competitive if it doesn't perform well . I'm hoping it's a great lens. But at that price point & compared to the 2700.00 80-400. I'm not holding my breath.
(Corrected)

Last edited:
ByronBrant said:
Interesting. No nano coating. Only 2 ED elements in it. Limited range compared to the 150-600s out there. Won't be very competitive if it doesn't perform well . I'm hoping it's a great lens. But at that price point & compared to the 2700.00 80-400. I'm not holding my breath.

Ummm...two of the three large front elements are ED glass; a third ED element resides far back in the optical path; the more-limited a zoom lens's optical range, the HIGHER the optical performance has tended to be (at least for the past 40 years)...no nano coating because on ultra-narrow angle lenses it is SUPER-easy to design a long lens hood that completely shields the lens front element from the sun; nano crystal coating is most effective at lightly grazing sun rays, which often impinge upon highly-bulbous, protruding, highly curved elements--and the 200-500 has a nearly flat front element, and "grazing" sun impingement on an ultra-narrow angle of acceptance lens is highly unlikely in 99.9 percent of shooting situations. Rest assured, if this design, with its THREE ED glass elements actually needed nano coating, Nikon would have spent the extra $3 to do that. So, there's all that...

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens | Interchangeable Lens for DSLR cameras from Nikon

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back