New Nikon Lenses, including a 200-500!

The stated price of $1,375 for the 200-500mm f/5.6 was surprising to me. And it does seem to be a constant f/5.6 aperture on the lens. This seems like a calculated move to capture the fairly high sales numbers the Tamron and Sigma 150-600mm lenses have been racking up recently.

Interesting... I think Derrel's right; the 200-500 is just a band-wagon jumper-onner. F5.6 really doesn't thrill me; I would be interested in f4, even at a higher price point. The updated 24-70 is no surprise.

Constant 5.6? Wow interesting.

Looks like they have Sigma, Tamron and Canon (100-400) in their sights. Price point is lower than I would expect, I wonder how "good" it will be.

Either way I expect to see ebay flooded with Tamrons shortly.

I'm interested in that 200-500 for sure.

Interesting... I think Derrel's right; the 200-500 is just a band-wagon jumper-onner. F5.6 really doesn't thrill me; I would be interested in f4, even at a higher price point. The updated 24-70 is no surprise.

I didn't miss the bandwagon did I? I really hate it when that happens. Lol.

Not sure if I'd go for this one or not, I would like something with a bit more reach but like you I'd rather spend a bit more for F4 as opposed to 5.6. Hmm.. might have to put this on the "When I win the lotto" list.

The 200-500 f5.6 is definetely one I'll be looking at. I've been putting a telephoto on the long finger for a while. I'd go this over tammy or siggy if its as good in it's covered range. Due only a 2.5x zoom it could be promising in quality and indeed size. Lets hope

Anyone else suspicious of the price point? I have a funny feeling it might be a DX lens? Otherwise it just doesn't add up.. 80-400 for $2700 or 200-500 for half the price. Unless it is the result of the joint Tamron/Nikon patent that surfaced in November? Maybe it's made by Tamron and has a Nikon label slapped on it?

No, not a DX lens...exceedingly,exceedingly extraordinarily unlikely. Telephoto lenses already have a very small image circle; the patents they have filed have all been for full-frame 200-500 lenses. Nikon is on a full-frame kick, in case you had not noticed their...what is it now? Is it still seven different Nikon FX models listed on the current Nikon USA web page? There would be no point in making a lens like this that would work ONLY on DX bodies--that would hurt the sales potential terribly. And--there would be no real size savings either.

And yeah....that JOINT Nikon and Tamron patent looms pretty large on this one to me too! The day I saw the first Nikon center-pinch lens caps--you know TAMRON"S OWN DESIGN for a lens cap, over a decade ago...I got the feeling that that's who was making the then-new high-level consumer lenses for Nikon...the first center-pinch cap was a 67mm diameter one...

I have the old 24-70 f/2.8
I figure I'll keep it and cut down on coffee and I'll be alright.

The AF-S 200-500mm f5.6 VR looks definitely interesting, but if it only competes with the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm in image quality, then I'd much rather get the AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR instead. The later would have the advantage that I could leave my AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR at home, too.

it sounds like I'll be waiting for a bit before picking one up. I'll probably rent one and see how it compares to the Tamron, then decide. Even if the IQ is close to the Tammy, if it's sharp wide open at 5.6/500mm it'd be worth it for me to switch.

If it's a legit release and as good in its range as the Tamron/Sigma I'd like it just for its lack of fwd compatability issues

New plan: I'll convince my GF to buy the new 24-70 f/2.8 VR and then secretly swap it with her for my old version.

Most reactions

Back