New Orleans Love... (19 photos)

PhotoWrangler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.themodernmutt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently visited New Orleans while I was home, and did a few things differently. First of all I had the new (to me) D700, which I shot completely in the monochromatic setting, which I've NEVER used before let alone all day. I've been shooting B&W film primarily for the last year or two and I've become quite fond of the look. I threw everything I like to think I know out the window, and pretty much shot what moved me. I've also tried a few new techniques in processing. I've attempted to achieve a B&W film "look" without the use of any presets or actions. This is one that I've created from scratch and titled "TriX".

I'd like C&C in the following two areas:

1. Overall processing - did you think the processing is representative of a true B&W film "look"? Why or why not?
2. Overall story - did you get the feeling of the city from the images presented?

NOLA-8704 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8716 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8784 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8788 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8811 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8820 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8821 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8829 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8832 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8836 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8843 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8849 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8858 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8860 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8868 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8896 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8900 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

NOLA-8906 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

You need the bb code... as none are showing up.

I like them as a set, but why are they all crooked?

Jake

Overall these look "sort of like" prints made from Tri-X, except there oughtta be some visible grain, and the blackest blacks on these make it look like the prints might have been fogged a little, or not developed for a long enough time. In some way, these do remind me of Tri-X as seen in old newspaper photos...with kind of a muddy blackest-black, so as to guard against dot gain and "inking up" too much in the darker tones.

If these were actual images that had been shot on 35mm Tri-X and developed in any of a wide range of developers (D-76, or HC-110,or Rodinal) I would say they look like they are about one full contrast grade too "soft" for maximum impact, maximum black, and also local contrast. These look like say they were printed using resin-based Polycontrast Rapid RC II with a 2.5 filter, when they needed a 3.5 filter.

They're also just too clean for Tri-X...too smooth...the image quality of the D700 exceeds Tri-X 35mm in terms of "smoothness"...these look wayyyyy smoother than Tri-X images; these look much more like Plus-X.

Thanks Derrel. If you view the full size images I think you'll see a little more grain.

I wasn't necessarily going for TriX specific, but it is my favorite film. But I'll take plus-x... Lol

Jake

Because one of the rules that often inhibits my creativity is straight lines. I usually concentrate so hard on matching the grid lines in the viewfinder to the lines in the photograph to make sure everything is straight, that I miss the shot.

I tried not to pay attention to the grid lines on this day.

I like them all. On the whole, they seem a bit washed out, need a bit more contrast IMO.

Jake

Because one of the rules that often inhibits my creativity is straight lines. I usually concentrate so hard on matching the grid lines in the viewfinder to the lines in the photograph to make sure everything is straight, that I miss the shot.

I tried not to pay attention to the grid lines on this day.
And very good, I like them this way. only weddings have to be shoot straight (for many social reasons). When comes to certain film "look", they look to me like under exposed film, but agree, that they look too smooth for TX, rather it is TMY developed in something really good.

I really like the one of Angela Merkel incognito.

1. Overall processing - did you think the processing is representative of a true B&W film "look"? Why or why not?
2. Overall story - did you get the feeling of the city from the images presented?

for processing you've got some opinions.

Overall story, I would say Yes. You transported me in New Orleans :)

Most reactions

Back