New Photo from my 3 inch 8x10 Pinhole

Dick Sanders

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dicksanders.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
North Shore Yacht Club at the Salton Sea in the Southern California Desert (Feb 2009). The mid-century modern architect, Albert Frey, designed this building. The Salton Sea was once a beautiful boating and fishing recreational area, but it's a ghost town now because the sea was badly polluted by agricultural runoff years ago. Agri is big business in California. Bigger than boating.

I made this with my 3 inch 8x10 Leonardo Pinhole camera at about 8 a.m. It might look as though I'm 50 feet from the building, but I'm just 15 feet away. The exposure was 3.25 minutes on Ilford HP-5 with a red filter (I bounced the shutter that came with this camera in favor of a 67mm filter holder that I glued to the front, so I could add a filter and lenscap). Processed in Kodak xTol. Scanned with Epson V-750 Pro.

SaltonSeaYachtClub1Feb2009Final.jpg

Comments or questions welcome. Thanks for looking.

Terrific pinhole! So much drama added from the sunrays. The red filter really helped here. :thumbup:

Great job!

Thanks, Terri. They do look like sunrays, but those are clouds rolling overhead, and they were just on the one side. For fun, I copied the left sky in Photoshop, flopped it, and laid it over the right side. But it looked like a poster for a science fiction movie. So, I kept it natural.

Thanks, Terri. They do look like sunrays, but those are clouds rolling overhead, and they were just on the one side. For fun, I copied the left sky in Photoshop, flopped it, and laid it over the right side. But it looked like a poster for a science fiction movie. So, I kept it natural.
Well, duh!!! You did say an over 3 minute exposure, didn't you? :lol: Of course they are clouds. But I like the idea of them sunrays for the drama. :sillysmi:

It might have been a little overkill to add the PS you just mentioned. I'm glad you chose to leave it alone.

Thanks, Chris! Glad I could help in the inspiration dept.

Terri -- I agree. I'm frequently in a PhotoShop class where the others are heavily manipulating their images, while I stick to more modest dodging, burning, and spotting. Once in a while, I succumb to their influence and try something, but I usually hate the result. This is better natural.

Most reactions

Back