New photograper needs advice for portraits

Laurids Oppermann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hillerodckoreskole.dk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
okay so im having this driving school and i have to take photoes of the students when they pass the exam and get their drivers licence, the problem is that the photos dosent usually end up very good, and i would like to take the photoes to a higher level, just for the sake of qualety for my students.
any super easy tricks to make photos instatly look somewhat better.
You can see the photos im talking about in the link below
Referencer - Hillerød C Køreskole

Hey there! Best would be doing it indoors for consecutive results.
Then you could use a Speedlight flash on your camera and bounce it against a (preferably white) wall behind you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pics on a drivers license are supposed to be really bad.
They're like police mug shots only more menacing because it allows you to get behind the wheel, not bars!
So if your pics aren't very good, they're probably perfect!!!
Remenber, it's a drivers license....., not Vogue magazine! Good luck
SS

Are you using a cell phone to capture these?

They're like police mug shots only more menacing because it allows you to get behind the wheel, not bars!
SS
This is, according to my understanding, not the picture on the drivers license, but rather pictures used to promote the driving school.

All the pictures are followed by a short description of the students starting point, progress and over all time spent on receiving the drivers license.

Last edited:
SS
I see you didn't click on the link. She wants to record each student's graduation.

The people/subjects look fine, learn how to change your vantage point to get better/less background.

Use a longer lens. There are too may wide angle views that include background you don't need.

Go out and practice framing and see what background you will be getting while there are just cars parked there, before you set up with a student. Position yourself so you'll be getting that yellow brick building or a brick wall etc. but not the edge of another building, telephone poles, lines on the pavement/road, etc.

You might do better to frame the shot like one from about mid thigh upwards, unless the student wants the entire figure/person in the photo. That could minimize the amount of background.

Think about where to have the student stand in relation to their car and the background.

Get in more practice framing shots, and learn how when you move around it changes the background you'll be getting. Good luck.

Reactions: Dao
SS
I see you didn't click on the link. She wants to record each student's graduation.

yeah, LoL , I was wondering why they weren’t being taken by the DMV!?!? I just figured every state must different !!! LoL
But hey it’s still danged good advice as far as DMV pics go!!!
SS

Use a focal length from 135 to 200 for the narrowest background angle. Use a lens aperture of f/4. Stand 10-18 meters from the car/ student.

I wondered if this might be for a driving school. I think the OP might be in Denmark?? not sure but maybe their version of the DMV is different than ours (I hope so for their sake! lol).

Click the link; you won't download a virus and have to call geek squad, I promise

This is a picture I took of my son when he passed his driver's license exam. I like the fact that the school provided a sign for him to hold to commemorate the event. We good the photo inside the building. The location was suggested by the examiner. Note that I am fairly close. I could have been closer and not done a full body shot. In retrospect I think a half-body would have been better. Note that there is not a lot of background in the picture. I also got down so that the photo was not looking down to him. The lens was center to his body for the full length shot.

Caleb - geenfoto

okay so im having this driving school and i have to take photoes of the students when they pass the exam and get their drivers licence, the problem is that the photos dosent usually end up very good, and i would like to take the photoes to a higher level, just for the sake of qualety for my students.
any super easy tricks to make photos instatly look somewhat better.
You can see the photos im talking about in the link below
Referencer - Hillerød C Køreskole

Just looking at the examples, I have a few simple suggestions, most of which aren't particularly related to the camera or lens.

First, if the license paperwork is a standard size, consider putting together some kind of backing board or frame to temporarily place that license into, such that it stays flat and rigid, and such that the student's fingers don't block what the paperwork says. This will help to make the brightness and contrast across that paper more even such that it will be more clear what the purpose of the paperwork is. You could also possibly add some additional context through signage, perhaps a magnetic sign that goes on the car door indicating that the car belongs to a driving school, or if the school has a sign posted at the street, parking next to that so that it's visible in the photograph. If none of those are an option, and if you do choose to make something for the paperwork to slip into, you could put the name and logo of the driving school on the frame, something like GlenGeen's example, though perhaps slightly more subtle.

Second, consider the height that the lens/camera is from the ground when compared to the height of the student. Camera height relative to the subject can be used to convey a sense of the power or strength of the subject, when Orson Welles made the film Citizen Kane, he used high, overhead, downward shots to portray weaker characters, and low, upward shots to portray strong characters. You do not need to go so extreme as he did, but if the camera is say, chest height, then you won't find the pictures ending up looking down upon the students like with your student Maria.

Third, of your photos on your site, the ones that stand-out most positively to me are of Olivia, Amalie, Thomas, and Dennis. The photo of Olivia is a little busy in the background but the lighting is interesting and she looks very happy. Amalie looks happy and is almost flirting with the camera, and the lighting on her face makes her face visible rather than half-obscured in dark shadow. Thomas's face is likewise visible, his eyes aren't in little pockets of shadow. Dennis looks confident and proud, and again, the lighting contrast on his face isn't too extreme such that we can actually see him. So for me, being able to see your subject's face is key. Among the photos that I don't think turned out too well, Lasse's face has too much shadow, and there's too much contrast across Zubajdah's face, too much bright to shadow.

Fourth, if you are forced to shoot with bright sunlight behind you and shining directly into the student's face, instruct the student to look down at the ground while counting down, and when you hit the end of your countdown, the student is to look up at you as you immediately snap the picture. If the timing works out right then the student's face will be illuminated by the sun but they will not have started squinting yet. This technique might have helped with Andreas in particular and generally with many of your subjects.

And lastly, as others have said a lens with a narrow field of view will have some positive effects though will require the photographer to have more distance to the subject. An additional thing that will help will be controlling aperture. A wider aperture will reduce the sharpness of the background, such that the student and the car to a lesser extent will be what the picture focuses on. Unfortunately that may require different equipment, which means cost and possibly more effort for the photo.

Most reactions

Back