New photographer needing some CC!

hsphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I'm a new photographer and I'm using a Nikon D90. I've love some CC on some photos I've shot so far! If you'd like to know the settings for a photo, just let me know and I can grab them for you. I've only had my camera a week now, so not all of them are the same.

DSC_0166 by friskybinx, on Flickr

DSC_0174 by friskybinx, on Flickr

DSC_0116 by friskybinx, on Flickr

DSC_0100 by friskybinx, on Flickr

DSC_0445 by friskybinx, on Flickr

DSC_0105 by friskybinx, on Flickr

DSC_0460 by friskybinx, on Flickr

DSC_0424 by friskybinx, on Flickr

If you couldn't tell, I'm an aspiring pet photographer! These were taken with the kit lens. I have all of the photos from these shoots on my Flickr account.

Thank you guys for your help!

First off, great camera, smart move!

secondly, it's difficult to capture dogs and i feel as though you nailed it. composition is good and exposure is on point for majority of them.

The last two you have the sun pounding on top of the gent and his dog. Easy fix: wait till later on in the day or position them in a better lit situation.

Like the photos very much though, thanks for sharing!

#1 - not a complementary angle of view
Not too crazy about the faded colour effect.
The head shot of the Dob ... you should frame it more towards where the dog is looking as opposed to behind.
Same with #6 ... I think it would have greatly improved the shot.
I feel a separation between owner and pet in the last two ... they should be looking at something in common ... like #2.

i really like the washed out colors in the beach pictures. you did that post? mind if i ask what you did?

You did good, being a new photographer.

I don't wish to offend anyone, but in #1 my eye is completely drawn to her cleavage, and nothing else. Sorry, but it is. Nice cleavage, that it is. Unless your shot was to capture the cleavage. In which case, bravo.

I like #2 as the best overall image. For the animal shots, to capture the essence of the dog I'd suggest getting down on their level (or even BELOW their level). Looking down on animals always tends to give a "snapshot" feel.

It might just be the fact I'm a sucker for striped clothing, but I love #2. I love the contrasts in this. And I think the tilt works with this photo. I'm pretty new myself so take everything I say with a grain of salt lol.

Thank you guys, you are all very helpful!

To answer the above questions, no, I wasn't trying to make her cleavage the main subject of the photo LOL. In your opinions, what would be some flattering angles for her? More on her level, kind of straight on? Or distant shots?

I'll try to watch my lighting, too. I took the dobe photos when the sun was starting to set, but it was still RIGHT THERE if you know what I mean. Living in Key West, the sun can be your worst (or best) enemy. I definitely still need to figure out how to use it to my advantage.

You did well on the exposures since it looks like from the EXIF data you were using the Manual shooting mode.

I also see from the EXIF you have the D90 in auto WB mode. Be careful when your shots are critical, the D90 doesn't do auto WB all that well.

I hate that I have to go to Flickr to see the EXIF data, and feel the SPAM that gets added at the bottom of each photo posted is inappropriate. Of course you could edit the post so the Fickr SPAM is not included.

Consider starting a study of visual image composition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_(visual_arts)
10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad
Advanced Composition -- Part I

Wow, #6 really just strikes me as being incredible. Great lighting, great framing. I love how a good portion of both water and sand are visible, and I love the way that the dog's coloring is almost identical to the sand. Strongest picture, in my opinion.

Sorry about the SPAM with the Flickr. This is the first time I've ever posted images from there so I'll make sure to not add that in the next time I post. I don't shoot in automatic ever because I want to figure my camera out - not just point and shoot. I'll make sure the next time to not have it in Auto.

Most reactions

Back