3388239971_93eec346f4.jpg

Part two on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3389324200_33d5eb1b45.jpg

IMG_2463 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3388504757_476be064cb.jpg

IMG_2470 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3389316272_048f9a1738.jpg

IMG_2352 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr: foned's Photostream for full shoot/past shoots if your interested.

I really like these I went and checked the rest of them out and they all are nice . You had a gorgous model to work with there.....

i like most of them... i dont like the ones where shes smoking... they kind of ruin it for me..

You need to work on drawing the eye into the subject and her face in particular. Unless it's a fashion shoot where her clothes are most important, her face is where you want people to naturally look. In the first two her face is darker than the background, underexposed by a bit and starting to shift toward blue. The result is that the eye is not drawn in to look at her like it ought to be drawn, and the brightness of the background distracts the viewer. In the second one, the sharp and very busy background is also a major distraction, as everything around her is more engaging to the eye in terms of textures and patterns, without providing a frame point her out. You're also losing detail in your whites on her shirt pretty badly (true of all three images).

In the last one you've finally got some light on her face but the angle is uncomfortable and her shirt is much too bright, while at the same time she has got branches growing from her head like crazy.

Looking through the rest of the shoot, you really need to pay attention to your focal lengths. She is clearly a very attractive woman, but you're using a wide angle lens up close to her which distorts her face and makes her look 'puffy' in the cheeks in particular. Wide angle can be used for portraiture but you've got to be very careful with how you utilize it.

You need to work on drawing the eye into the subject and her face in particular. Unless it's a fashion shoot where her clothes are most important, her face is where you want people to naturally look. In the first two her face is darker than the background, underexposed by a bit and starting to shift toward blue. The result is that the eye is not drawn in to look at her like it ought to be drawn, and the brightness of the background distracts the viewer. In the second one, the sharp and very busy background is also a major distraction, as everything around her is more engaging to the eye in terms of textures and patterns, without providing a frame point her out. You're also losing detail in your whites on her shirt pretty badly (true of all three images).

In the last one you've finally got some light on her face but the angle is uncomfortable and her shirt is much too bright, while at the same time she has got branches growing from her head like crazy.

Looking through the rest of the shoot, you really need to pay attention to your focal lengths. She is clearly a very attractive woman, but you're using a wide angle lens up close to her which distorts her face and makes her look 'puffy' in the cheeks in particular. Wide angle can be used for portraiture but you've got to be very careful with how you utilize it.

I agree with the darkness of her face, its way underexposed, I don't believe my lens constitutes wide angle..

The sun was pretty rough, all i have to shoot with is my digital rebel xt, I'm thinking i need to invest in a flash, or perhaps some reflectors to light up the face.. maybe?

You're shooting at 18mm in a lot of the shots, according to the flickr information. That is plenty wide even on a 1.6x crop. On a crop, starting around 35mm your perspective will start to improve, but for closeup head and shoulders shots you'll want to be at 55mm.

A reflector, fill flash, diffusion screen (this will often come as part of a 5-in-1 reflector), or simply shooting at a different time of day are all options for getting better light on the face.

But more critically, just pay attention to where the sun is in your shots. If it's behind your subject, then you'll get a blown sky, assuming you aren't lighting it or doing something to counteract the sunlight.

Last edited:
You're shooting at 18mm in a lot of the shots, according to the flickr information. That is plenty wide even on a 1.6x crop. On a crop, starting around 35mm your perspective will start to improve, but for closeup head and shoulders shots you'll want to be at 55mm.

A reflector, fill flash, diffusion screen (this will often come as part of a 5-in-1 reflector), or simply shooting at a different time of day are all options for getting better light on the face.

But more critically, just pay attention to where the sun is in your shots. If it's behind your subject, then you'll get a blown sky, assuming you aren't lighting it or doing something to counteract the sunlight.

Indeed, optimally we wouldve shot at a different time, or at least when there were some clouds in sky.

thanks for you input ;]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back