New studio!

You plan for that little room to be the studio?? I honestly don't think you will have much room in there. It really looks no bigger than 13'x13'

Also, how tall are your ceilings going to be in it?

I really didnt notice the room size till you mentioned it,,,,yup to small I say also,,better off to take the larger room on the right even if you have to partition enough off of it

You plan for that little room to be the studio?? I honestly don't think you will have much room in there. It really looks no bigger than 13'x13'

Also, how tall are your ceilings going to be in it?

If it's big enough for few magazines and a bottle of lotion then I'm sure it would be just fine. Sound proffing would matter more than ceiling height. maybe a air vent fan.

Well, the build has been going great. We're about 80% complete. It turns out I will get to use the entire downstairs as my studio! So I will have a new office and studio down there. The wife just wants me completely out of the upstairs - DEAL!

Here are some pics of the progress.

This is shot of the studio area facing what will become my new office. I'll be able to move freely around down here, so that's the current plan anyway.

500414524_zHur5-L.jpg

This is the same space from the other side of the room.

500414461_4RJer-L.jpg

This is the office.

500414409_ecESe-L.jpg

I decided to go with a complete Alien Bees setup. After much research and reading many-many reviews, I figured the Bee's would be a perfect fit for me. The price is great, the packages are great and the performance is good enough for me at this point. It's amazing how popular the Bee's are.

I picked up two B800's and one B400. I bought a couple of soft boxes, barn doors, gels, and other light modifiers along with the Bee's CyberSync triggers. I also picked up a Vagabond II just for kicks which should come in handy next month when I shoot a local aviation museum (opening weekend!).

I'll post some more pics once I get things further along. We're still trying to figure out what flooring to do.

It's coming along! I just got the lights setup in one part of the studio. This was the original location but I'll be spreading out elsewhere in the new space. :)

504781251_iFdVF-L.jpg

There's still a ton to do, but I was in a hurry to get it set up and to take some pics.

lookin good man!!! can't wait to see some photos from here!!

lookin good man!!! can't wait to see some photos from here!!
Thanks!

It's funny, the wife came downstairs at 6:35am wondering why I was up and what I was doing. She strolled into the studio with our son in tow. I said, "go stand over there". With surprisingly little protest (given she just woke up 10 minutes before hand) she did in fact "go stand over there".

505057356_g3dHY-M.jpg

She would kill me for posting this, but I don't have anyone else to shoot right now and I've been doing nothing but taking self portraits since getting things setup in there last night.

So this is the first official "someone other than myself" picture from my new studio.

I have a TON of stuff yet to do. Things as simple as getting the wrinkles out of my muslin backdrops to getting cables organized and shelving/storage in place.

I'm thinking of hard mounting a backdrop holder to the ceiling this week and going with 3/4" copper pipe vs. the rather flimsy setup I currently have.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good material for a 9ft rod for holding backdrops? I went to the hardware store and all the PVC piping is too flimsy. Wood won't work. Copper seemed to be a good choice.

Congratulations friend.
Nice capture of your wife and your sweet child. Hope to see more studio works from you.

Very cool Tim! I guess you've had this studio for a while now? I'm so jealous, looks like you've got a great set up! :drool:

Very cool Tim! I guess you've had this studio for a while now? I'm so jealous, looks like you've got a great set up! :drool:
Thanks. :) It's been a work in progress and I think I have things the way I want them for now. I have plenty of space down there for entertaining and even for doing makeup and stuff. I have a makeup artist and a model coming over on Sat. It's awesome being able to do all this stuff right here in the house.

Thanks. :) It's been a work in progress and I think I have things the way I want them for now. I have plenty of space down there for entertaining and even for doing makeup and stuff. I have a makeup artist and a model coming over on Sat. It's awesome being able to do all this stuff right here in the house.

I've enjoyed all your work so I would say your studio is getting plenty of use. Can't wait to see your Saturday session.

You had mentioned getting the wrinkles out of your backdrops, did you just use a steamer?

I've enjoyed all your work so I would say your studio is getting plenty of use. Can't wait to see your Saturday session.

You had mentioned getting the wrinkles out of your backdrops, did you just use a steamer?
I decided on seamless paper backgrounds. I pick up some Manfrotto ceiling mounts for the paper rolls which work perfectly. The muslin isn't for me, I don't like the texture in my shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back