New subforum needed maybe

Patriot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I believe that a new sub forum for maintenance should be added to the camera section. Things such as how to clean, change out the focus screen, or even take apart a lens to clean it ourselves would be great to have as stickies/or links in this section. Users could benefit from a place just for maintenance tips. I myself would like to know how to take apart a lens to clean it or even switch lens mounts between a Minolta and a Nikon if possible. This one section can hold all areas for Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. freeing up those sections for subjects not related to actual maintenance. For example the Nikon section can be left for tips on how to use it, reviews, comparison, etc while helping in better organization of threads. Better organizations means those threads are seen that much faster for help.

I really believe that this should be considered if it hasn't already been brought up. Please think about it.

That might be a good idea...but I also think that it would get very little use. Taking apart lenses (and properly putting them back together) is something that very, very few photographers do. If anyone asks, I usually tell them that it should only be done by a professional lens technician.
There are basic maintenance thing that users can do for their cameras, but again...the in-depth maintenance should probably be handled by someone who is qualified.

We do have a thread for listing various camera repair shops.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-equipment-products/31725-camera-repair-list.html

Don't get your hopes up. Cameras aren't to bad, but lenses are another story.

Are you aware of the variations in lens mount FBD - Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many special tools, lubricants, lens element gels, calibration, and test devices needed to disassemble and re-assemble a lot of lenses. Each brand pretty much has it's own special tools, and they aren't sold at Amazon.com or on eBay. Parts availability would also be an issue, because those aren't often for sale either.

Zoom lenses are much more complicated than prime lenses, but the more lens elements/groups there are the less likely a repair can be made DIY.

Here is an older Canon camera (10D) assembly video - UC Berkeley E128 Final Project - Canon 10D DSLR v2 - YouTube

Most reactions

Back