New Teleconverter with Pics (C&C Welcome)

RalphP13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had some dragonflies in the backyard that were always just a little too far a way. Although waders would have been cheaper, I ended up picking up a Nikon 1.4 teleconverter to use with my 105 mm macro lens. I'm pretty pleased with the combination. Here are some initial shots.

These guys were pretty active. I'd like to try to get some even more detailed close-ups. For now, this is my start.

Like always, any comments or critiques are welcome.

Dragon%201%20800.jpg

Dragon%202%20800.jpg

Dragon%203%20800.jpg

Dragon%204%20800.jpg

Thanks, Ralph

The title makes it look like I took pictures of a teleconverter.:banghead:

Is there a way to edit the thread title?

Thanks, Ralph

I like the last one, with all the OOF highlights from the water as the background. Dragonflies seem kind of hard to photograph in a single shot--it's so hard to get adequate depth of field AND a large on-film image of the doggone things. Usually, a good portion of the insect ends up out of focus,and that always bugs me (no pun intended).

Interestingly enough, I too liked the out of focus highlights from the water on number 4. However, when I showed the photos to my wife, her only comment was how all the white areas in the fourth photograph were too distracting. Amazing how different people see different things in photos.

Thanks, Ralph

Nice crisp shots. Good job keeping the entire insect in the DoF.

The backgrounds are distracting to me. The second one is the best, I think, but I still would selectively tone down the blown out reflections.

Those types of specular highlights on the surface of ponds and lakes are the normal habitat of dragonflies...so to me, those are part and parcel of the dragonfly experience...

Amazing how different people see different things in photos.

Hi Ralph, the last 2 really got me, and by that I mean I think they are awesome, but just as you said above, here is my take on both of them. It doesnt say if its ok to edit your shots, so let me know if its not ok and I will remove them asap.

I cropped both a little tighter and removed a green branch top left in one of them. NB I do not crop to standard sizes, rather I crop to suit the shot.

Both had the levels adjusted, saturation untouched, levels will change saturation a little anyway. Both sharpened selectivley using unsharp mask and after about 3 minutes on each this is the result.

I could already see they were good, but just had a little more to offer IMO.

I am really loving the 3rd now.

Originals first followed by my edits.

dragonflyo.jpg

Cheers Rob

The backgrounds are distracting to me. The second one is the best, I think, but I still would selectively tone down the blown out reflections.

Those types of specular highlights on the surface of ponds and lakes are the normal habitat of dragonflies...so to me, those are part and parcel of the dragonfly experience...

Different things appeal to different people, as evidenced above. I was actually intentionally trying to get water and cattails in the background. On a previous attempt, I shot from a lower angle giving me just dragonfly perched on the tip of a dry cattail. It just looked so boring.

here is my take on both of them.

As you've already alluded to, I did do a standard size crop. Just my preference. I did actually do some selective sharpening. I'm always worried about making my images look to over sharpened. I may try an even tighter crop, since I like the fourth one better with that right upper corner greenery removed.

Thanks, Ralph

Most reactions

New Topics

Back