New telephoto lens - beginner

Pardon my ignorance, as I said I am a beginner.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS STM Lens - Jessops - Lenses

Is this one the updated version of the one you linked to?

Great question as I am a beginner as well! My understanding is that the only difference between the two is the focusing? The one you linked to is STM and mine is not. The STM version would be silent when focusing when you can hear the motor focusing in my lens, also the STM would probably be faster?
I hope I'm right here, if not can someone please correct me?

For birds 300mm is at the short end too, unless you know you can get very close indeed. I think most people now are using something in the 400-800mm range and the recent 150-600mm superzooms are quite popular for this. They to are quite expensive brand new, however recent releases of updated 150-600mm lenses have had a knock on effect bringing the price down on second hand versions.

I agree with this BUT for a beginner telephoto technique will not be up to getting the best from a super telephoto. There are loads of examples on the net of longer lenses being slagged for lack of user technique...

I'd definitely recommenced an x-250 or x-300 zoom first. Once able to get good shake free images with those it might be time to start saving for something longer. With the right location (garden/ hide etc) some excellent bird shots are taken with lenses as short as 150mm

For birds 300mm is at the short end too, unless you know you can get very close indeed. I think most people now are using something in the 400-800mm range and the recent 150-600mm superzooms are quite popular for this. They to are quite expensive brand new, however recent releases of updated 150-600mm lenses have had a knock on effect bringing the price down on second hand versions.

I agree with this BUT for a beginner telephoto technique will not be up to getting the best from a super telephoto. There are loads of examples on the net of longer lenses being slagged for lack of user technique...

I'd definitely recommenced an x-250 or x-300 zoom first. Once able to get good shake free images with those it might be time to start saving for something longer. With the right location (garden/ hide etc) some excellent bird shots are taken with lenses as short as 150mm

The bluejay photo I posted on the previous page of this thread was taken at 179mm using the 55-250 posted above.

Well just to let you all know, I bought the 55-250 as per one of the original posts.... Quite happy with it. Now I just got to learn how to work the camera and get an eye for a good photo.

Sent from my SM-G900F using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I just bought the Tamron 150-600 g2, it'll go great with my 55-250

In good conditions you can get decent photos with the 75-300 mm lens (i.e where birds are not too shy).
IMG_8445 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back