new to flash (580EX II)

crazyjackphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

a newbie basic question, when shooting backlit subject to fill in the shadows I'll be using flash but should I measure the exposure of the background or the subject to prevent from blowing out background? and if I setp down on the flash, will the subject be darker? sorry, since i haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. Thanks in advance!!:D

Welcome to the forum.

If you are shooting a back lit subject with flash (a person with the sun behind them)...you will want to measure the exposure of the background and probably underexpose for it.

If you are shooting into the sun or a bright back light...It's hard to guess what the auto (E-TTL) metering of the flash will do, so you may want to put the camera into manual power.

If the back light isn't bright or direct enough to fool with the flash metering then you would probably be OK with E-TTL metering...although, you may have to adjust the FEC up or down to suite your taste.

thanks Mike, I been around the forum for few months now, just never joined. I'm glad to be part of the community. I just got the flash few days ago & will start playing this weekend. will have more question on flash as this is my first. thanks for the tip!!

Hello,

a newbie basic question, when shooting backlit subject to fill in the shadows I'll be using flash but should I measure the exposure of the background or the subject to prevent from blowing out background? and if I setp down on the flash, will the subject be darker? sorry, since i haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. Thanks in advance!!:D

This is an outstanding guide to using Canon EOS flash.
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back