New to macro

reaper7534

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Feel free to criticize. My colors may be off, I'm ordering a new monitor and calibrator soon.

_M7D3694-3 by Reaper7534, on Flickr

CameraCanon EOS 7D
Exposure0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperturef/18.0
Focal Length90 mm
ISO Speed320
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashOn, Fired

Nice froggie! It does look a little bit underexposed... and the color blends with the background a bit. I did a quick edit just to see what I could do....

Original on top:
$frog1.jpg

Did you diffuse the flash? Was it the pop-up flash?

Last edited:
It was diffused and also a external flash. I was trying to separate the background and frog, but they were so close in color, was posing quite the challenge. The flash was mounted on camera, though.

It was diffused and also a external flash. I was trying to separate the background and frog, but they were so close in color, was posing quite the challenge. The flash was mounted on camera, though.

Good! How large was the diffuser? Having the flash on camera can make it difficult to avoid the harsh shadows like the one under the frog's chin. A good macro bracket like this Kirk Enterprises : Universal - Macro Flash Bracket will allow to place the flash in an optimal position... very helpful. I also often use a flash or two off camera with wireless flash triggers. You may also find that calibrating your monitor will be needed to achieve optimal exposures and color in post.

I can't afford a top of the line monitor so ill be getting a Dell Ultrasharp U2412m with a SpyderPro 4 calibrator. Ill look into the brackets, I'm still wrapping my mind around using a flash on a sunny day, lol.

I can't afford a top of the line monitor so ill be getting a Dell Ultrasharp U2412m with a SpyderPro 4 calibrator. Ill look into the brackets, I'm still wrapping my mind around using a flash on a sunny day, lol.

I almost always use flash on sunny days... it helps to reduce the contrast in harsh sunlight for portraiture or macro. I also use flash for fill on none sunny days... lol!

I use a Dell Ultrasharp 30".. and it is a great monitor (no matter what some say! ;) ) You will love the monitor!

Found some baseline settings for my current monitor and it was way to bright, that's why all you guys are seeing it too dark on your end. So what looked good to me, looked like garbage to everyone else.

Found some baseline settings for my current monitor and it was way to bright, that's why all you guys are seeing it too dark on your end. So what looked good to me, looked like garbage to everyone else.

Not unusual... happens to a lot of people.

On that note, I'm searching for new monitors now. Had a eye on some Dell Ultrasharps, but KmH shot that down. LoL

On that note, I'm searching for new monitors now. Had a eye on some Dell Ultrasharps, but KmH shot that down. LoL

I am pretty happy with mine.. but mine is the older IPS panel technology.

I think the detail in the frog is fantastic. Love how sharp this is ...

I'd probably crop out the bit of tree in the corner though. And maybe go a little looser on the crop of the frog itself. Maybe that's not possible if this is an in camera crop, but it just feels a smidge tight.

Charlie - I really like your edit on this. tfs

I think the detail in the frog is fantastic. Love how sharp this is ...

I'd probably crop out the bit of tree in the corner though. And maybe go a little looser on the crop of the frog itself. Maybe that's not possible if this is an in camera crop, but it just feels a smidge tight.

Charlie - I really like your edit on this. tfs

Not a in camera crop, I do have some room to work. I had to look at what tree you were talking about, that is my wooden deck !! Lol.

I wasn't talking about the deck. LOL
There is a small bit of darker wood, at least I think it's wood, near the upper left corner. Not quite in the corner but the far left.
Whatever it is, I'd crop it out.

I wasn't talking about the deck. LOL
There is a small bit of darker wood, at least I think it's wood, near the upper left corner. Not quite in the corner but the far left.
Whatever it is, I'd crop it out.

ah, that's a leaf. I'll try cropping that out and post up tomorrow

Most reactions

Back