New to me Lumix zs80

donlwilliams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a like new Lumix zs80 as a carry camera and possible travel camera and took it out this morning for some shots. I am a bit disappointed with the images as they seem to be pretty noisy. I was shooting at ISO 400 and plenty of daylight. I shot both RAW and JPG for comparison and the JPG images actually seemed to be a bit better. Anyone have any experience with this camera and have any comments? Thanks.

I recently purchased a like new Lumix zs80 as a carry camera and possible travel camera and took it out this morning for some shots. I am a bit disappointed with the images as they seem to be pretty noisy. I was shooting at ISO 400 and plenty of daylight. I shot both RAW and JPG for comparison and the JPG images actually seemed to be a bit better. Anyone have any experience with this camera and have any comments? Thanks.
ISO 400 seems quite high to me, especially in good light. I'm primarily a film shooter though, and my ISOs generally range from 20 to 64, in any light.
I think it's normal for a JPEG to look better, because a RAW file needs to be photoshopped to look decent. When I do shoot digital, I shoot 14-bit NEF (RAW) and export as 16-bit TIFF. The TIFFs look better because camera settings have been applied to them, whereas they have not been applied to the NEF files.
Note: By "photoshopped " I mean fussed up in some sort of editing software, not just Photoshop.

G'day Don

I shoot Lumix FZ stuff so may be able to assist here as well

When you say 'noise issues' one needs to ask "what is your experience with digital" ... no offence here, but I have met numbers of large-camera users who think that the small sensor noise 'should' be the same or better than large sensor noise. It isn't. Noise -- like film grain from years ago -- is there at all times and must be accepted ... tho you can take steps to minimise it

My Lumix settings are:-
Photo Style (Colour) = Vibrant
Custom settings @ Contrast @ -1; Sharpness @ +1; NR @ -2; Saturation @ +2
ISO on Auto with max of 800

Happy to talk more here or vial email ... [email protected]
Phil

Most reactions

Back