New to photography and TPF, love some C&C please!

Blackshapes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, new here and want to get involved, new with my wifes old D70s, love to find out what you guys think/where I can improve. These are a couple of shots I took June 11 walking around Melbourne, Australia at sunset. There were plenty more, but i like these two the best. They were taken with my D70s and Nikkor Kit 18-70 3.5-4.5G IF ED lens.

Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.6 IF ED
@ 25mm, 1/625, f5.6
Aperture Priority Mode

Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.6 IF ED
@29mm, 2", f8
Programmed Automatic mode.

I tweaked the sharpness in the first one using a HP filter in photoshop, and am very happy with the result, However there was a touch more red in the sky than appears in the shot, and I have no idea how I would go about capturing that colour, short of jacking up saturation after the shot, which is not what I am wanting.
Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

Ben

Last edited:
First impressions - I would like to see more detail in the actual buildings themselves. At first glance, these look very dark and thus underexposed. I am also curious why they were not posted at full size.

WesternGuy said:
First impressions - I would like to see more detail in the actual buildings themselves. At first glance, these look very dark and thus underexposed. I am also curious why they were not posted at full size.

Thanks Westernguy,
Massive noob mistake regarding sizes, I shall fix that when I get home! Look forward to second impressions when you can actually see the photos *blushes*

Last edited:
The star trails on the second are messy and flared (something I've done aswell :lol:) Make sure you use a stable tripod and 10 seconds+ exposures for the best light trails.

The star trails on the second are messy and flared (something I've done aswell :lol:) Make sure you use a stable tripod and 10 seconds+ exposures for the best light trails.

so my silk f630 needs to be upgraded i take it? Any recommendations on good tripod without spending mega cash? something that it stable at full extension, unlike my little silk ;(

so my silk f630 needs to be upgraded i take it? Any recommendations on good tripod without spending mega cash? something that it stable at full extension, unlike my little silk ;(

You might want to take a look at the Manfrotto 190CX0PRO3 - Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 190CXPRO3 or the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 055CXPRO3 . I have the 190 and it will handle everything up to my 100-400 on a gripped 5D. I like that it is quite light, yet I can pack it away in my checked luggage when travelling. HTH.

You might want to take a look at the Manfrotto 190CX0PRO3 - Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 190CXPRO3 or the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 055CXPRO3 . I have the 190 and it will handle everything up to my 100-400 on a gripped 5D. I like that it is quite light, yet I can pack it away in my checked luggage when travelling. HTH.

Cheers, WG. Like the look of both of those, give it 6 weeks and ill hit "Buy now". Until then, little Slik it is...

If my memory serves, I've shot photo at same position as the 1st pic last year in Melbourne, just by the Yarra River~!

Most reactions

Back