New to Photography, going Canon!

John27

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

My name is John, and I'm brand-new in the world of photography. My girlfriend loves taking pictures, I bought her a fujifilm point and shoot a couple years ago and she loves it, she never stops using it. In fact, it's sitting at my desk right now and she called me a little bit ago freaking out because she couldn't find it, she left it at my house apparently. :lol:

I've got a couple people in my family who are big into DSLR photography, one who owns a 5D Mk II and a collection of L lenses, another who just got a T1i and loves it. I'm definitely sticking with Canon for that reason, from my research it appears the Canon / Nikkon race is not won nor will it ever. It's not unlike ATi/nVidia, Intel/AMD, Ford/GM/Chrysler, someone at some point has the best product and/or the best value, but it's impossible to say one is consistently the winner. That said, I might as well go with the one that friends and family use, since they know how to use it!

For the gf's birthday this year, I'm looking at a T1i with kit lens, what do you think? She loves portrait photography, taking pics of nature and animals, as well as her and I's aquariums. I am also the Pastor of a small church and I'd like to use it to take pictures of various events and things to post on a future website I'm working on, to keep folks updated with what's going on. I'm also thinking next semester I'm gonna take a couple photography classes as electives :lmao:

Any thoughts? It's out of my budget to go higher than the T1i, even a T2i, as well as being out of my budget to get anything other than the kit lens. That said, what lens(es) should I be keeping an eye out for in the future?

Thanks in advance for all the information, I know these types of questions get asked alot but I would appreciate your advice concerning the types of shotting we're going to be doing. I did pick up a "T1i for Dummies" book and some other DSLR literature (a couple old magazine issues with particular tips/tricks) at a sale at a book store. Any particular thoughts on literature for a new photographer?

Thanks again!

John

That said, I might as well go with the one that friends and family use, since they know how to use it!

Plus, until you get your own lenses, you can borrow some of theirs, lol.

Welcome to the forum! I can't tell you how the T1i is, but my much older and likely less feature packed 300D has served me well. Canon makes a good camera.

Post some pictures when you get whatever camera you decide on!

Hey there!

Hey your only about 20 minutes from me! Small world!

Yeah I've always liked Canon products, my grandpa was big into SLR's back in the 90's, and always used Nikkon and took some PHENOMENAL pics (notice I didn't add the "D", referring to film here). But I think I'm gonna stick with Canon, I like what they have to offer!

Any suggestions on future lenses?

Whoa this turned into a post for Missourians! Haha.

Personally I own the T1i, and LOVE it. Now I've tried out the T2i and could barely tell a difference but I'm no expert. The kit lens is fine for what you described but if you're say standing in the back of the church and want to get up close, a 75-300 is a good lens I own as well. Along with a Canon 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 for lower lighting situations.

Grats! Yes definitely the way to go you can borrow all that L glass!

Be sure to post! :)

Plus, until you get your own lenses, you can borrow some of theirs, lol.

+1

My friend was constantly letting me borrow his 70-200G ED VR II until he found out I had a Canon and then he was like "Meh, that's your fault. Go get a Nikon!"

Hey there!

Hey your only about 20 minutes from me! Small world!

Any suggestions on future lenses?

Lol. I didn't even notice! It's ironic; one of my first posts at this forum was some pictures I took in St. Clair. My sister and I went to take pictures of the International Shoe Co. factory. I love old buildings like that.

Here's a link, if you're interested.

St. Clair's a neat town.

As far as lenses go, it's gonna depend on the pictures you want to take. If you're like me and do a lot of landscapes and non-moving objects, then something like a 70-300mm f/4 would be nice. If you plan on doing action shots or moving objects, you'll want something faster. Like in the sub f/2.8 range. Everybody seems to agree that having a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens is a good idea. They call it the "nifty fifty" because it's a good "around town" lens. I actually just got one, but it needs an adapter cuz it's an M42 mount lens.

One word of caution. Watch out for Sigma EF lenses. If you buy a Sigma, make sure the seller states that it will work with DIGITAL Canons. I bought a Sigma 75-300mm f/4 only to find out that I have to shoot with the aperture wide open otherwise the camera locks up with "ERR 99". I had to do surgery to the lens to get it to change apertures. *Headache* lol. If you go the 3rd party route, I suggest Tamron.

-Ray

You have probably posted the best topic that has ever been made on any photography forum, just from this line:
the Canon / Nikkon race is not won nor will it ever. It's not unlike ATi/nVidia, Intel/AMD, Ford/GM/Chrysler, someone at some point has the best product and/or the best value, but it's impossible to say one is consistently the winner. That said, I might as well go with the one that friends and family use, since they know how to use it!

You have probably posted the best topic that has ever been made on any photography forum, just from this line:
the Canon / Nikkon race is not won nor will it ever. It's not unlike ATi/nVidia, Intel/AMD, Ford/GM/Chrysler, someone at some point has the best product and/or the best value, but it's impossible to say one is consistently the winner. That said, I might as well go with the one that friends and family use, since they know how to use it!

Haha thanks!

And yeah Ray, I might try to recreate some of those shots, that shoe company would be a great place to take pictures. I've actually got an old black and white of it when it was up and running and all of the employees standing outside for a picture, it's a neat place.

What's funny about your pictures is that someone looking at them might think St.Clair is a whole lot bigger than it is, but of course, that building is the only building of it's size in town.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back