New to photography!

Jakeonthekob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, my name is Jacob and I'm new to photography.

My dad is also very interested in learning photography techniques so I came here to learn.

The camera my dad got is a Canon EOS MkIII 5D, at the strong advice of a friend.

The camera is awesome, but me and my dad definitely need to learn how to use it properly to do that camera justice.

So a little background on myself and what I want to use this camera for:
1) I practice sword martial arts and I want to be able to shoot really nice footage with this camera, especially high frames/sec. I am more interested in capturing really clean and smooth slow motion shots so that way, anyone viewing my videos can understand what's going on as I practice.

2) Outdoor shots. Me and my family love the outdoors and like to camp, backpack, fish, you name it. So, if anyone can please give some pointers on how to adjust position relative to the sun for optimal lighting, adjusting shutter speed, IOS, shutter diameter, etc. that would really help me and my dad out.

That's pretty much it and I look forward to getting to know you all!

This is a really amateur video, but hopefully you can get to know what I want to use this camera for.

As you can see... Very blurry slow motion, and I was wondering if I can somehow increase the frame rate of this camera to get a smoother slow motion shot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jake - welcome to the forum and to the world of digital filmmaking! Sadly, although the 5D Mark III is a great camera, it lacks high frame rates for slow motion in full 1080p HD. You will have to use the lower 720p resolution to get 60 frames per second and conform to 24 fps in your editor. Your slo-mo will be smoother, but the resolution won't be as good.

If it is not too late to trade the Canon, you might want to look at the Panasonic GH3 - it is less than half the price of the 5D Mark III and has 1080/60p full resolution slow motion plus several full-resolution fast and slow motion effects.

Here is the 40% slow motion effect at 24p:

For your next video question, you may want to switch to the forum's DSLR video discussion.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you very much Bill!

Unfortunately, this camera is here to stay. Well, at least I'll be able to get some good still shots, and as long as I don't do slow motion with this camera, it should look really clean.

Thank you for the heads up!

Most reactions

Back