New to Post Processing

jdwyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got back from vacation where I shot all jpeg pictures. I used manual settings the entire vacation to learn how to use exposure properly. I understand exposure values pretty well, althought i usually have to adjust by a stop to get the optimum exposure.
Anyway, I want to try my hand at post processing and was wondering what the best program to use is or what the best techniques/tips you could offer.

I do have photoshop on my computer and will start shooting raw next time I grab my camera. Is PP a long involved process? Will taking several hundred photos in raw be too much to handle?

Thanks in advance for any advice

It doesnt have to be a long process, once you get your workflow down and get used to what your adjustment layers are really doing to your photographs you can breeze through the post process. That being said photoshop and lightroom are both great post processing tools. In both of these programs you can use a non destructive adjustment workflow. This means that you can add adjustment layers in photoshop well leaving your jpgs untouched. In Lightroom your jpg is saved in the background and all adjustments are saved as just that, adjustments. Lightroom is more than enough if you plan on only adjusting the color/exposure/saturation/ etc. values of the photograph. If you want to start getting artsy with filters you can use photoshop but most if not all PP can be acheived in Lightroom. I've never had much of a use for 90 percent of the filters in Photoshop. (As a photographer not a graphic designer)

Thanks adam,
Because I have used photoshop extensively for graphic design I think it is the better choice for me. I know the program pretty well and have never had the chance to use lightroom.
Here's where I'm still a bit confused -
If I shoot in a raw + jpeg mode the camera will produce 2 files. right?
When I connect my camera to my mac i use iphoto to import those files. Will iPhoto import the raw files as well?
Lets say it does and I start adjusting saturation etc in photoshop. Once I'm happy with my results, do I save it as a jpeg and a .psd? Or do I save it as a raw file? How do I take those photos to the printer?
Like I said, I'm new to PP so any and all help is greatfully appreciated.

Thanks adam,
Because I have used photoshop extensively for graphic design I think it is the better choice for me. I know the program pretty well and have never had the chance to use lightroom.
Here's where I'm still a bit confused -
If I shoot in a raw + jpeg mode the camera will produce 2 files. right?
When I connect my camera to my mac i use iphoto to import those files. Will iPhoto import the raw files as well?
Lets say it does and I start adjusting saturation etc in photoshop. Once I'm happy with my results, do I save it as a jpeg and a .psd? Or do I save it as a raw file? How do I take those photos to the printer?
Like I said, I'm new to PP so any and all help is greatfully appreciated.

1. Yes your camera will save both files.
2. iPhoto was recently updated to support RAW, its pretty bad at it but if you give it a couple seconds to load, it WILL display it for you.
3. When you load the RAW into photoshop, granted you HAVE adobe ACR, this will open. Since a raw file is just saved data, this is where you choose how you want your raw file to be displayed in photoshop. (Choosing sharpness, clarity, saturation, exposure, contrast, etc.)

Once you have chosen these settings and click "OK", Photoshop will bring it up as a .psd.. do your post process and than save your photo

4. For printing, a JPG will suffice and is most commonly accepted, although the industry is slowing trying to bring TIFF's into the industry standard. Save your photo as a JPG at 240-300 ppi at full resolution (you can find this in the image size adjustment).

That should work out just fine for you.

5. Take the jpgs to a printer on a disc or use one of the many photo stores' online uploader.

Thanks very much adam. you've been very helpful! I'll try this out over the weekend and maybe post a few pics for comment....maybe!

Most reactions

Back